125L Shell Dweller Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tizer

Team TetraTEC
Reaction score
I decided to upgrade my 90 litre Roma to a 125 Aquamanta Bio tank. These are only available in the UK from the Maidenhead Aquatics chain of shops. It comes with a external EFX200 Aquamanta Filter capable of an 800 LPH turn over (500 expected real world turn over).

I've had a fiddle around with my shelf unit and have ended up with this:

DSC02314.jpg

The shelves are rated at 175 kilos so this tank just about gets away with it. I've put it at the bottom to prevent any risks of the legs bowing!

Initially i plan to stock a dozen Multifasciatus (6 to start, will see how it goes) and a pair of Neolamprologus Helianthus. I've reserved a breeding pair of Helianthus at a local store, but they have just had free swimming fry appear in the tank in the shop, so i cant get them for a few weeks yet! Gives me time to get prepared. I've also got first dibs on 6 Multi's that are in their display tank, which is due to be broken down soon.

I've purchased a box of snail shells, some black Unipac limpopo sand and er...not a lot else at this stage!

The tanks back is getting two coats of gloss black paint today, don't like backgrounds, they get manky over time, Gloss paint is the only way to go!

My mature sponges are sat in a tub of water for the next few days while i get this painted, once thats done, i'll fill her up, get the external going with my mature sponges in and dose a little ammonia to revive the bacteria for a few days until i can collect my fish :D

More to come!

Humm, i've also just noticed, i could probably get another two nanos going on that printer shelf....gah! I'll save that idea for another day :>

I have always wanted a multi tank...

Subscribed. :good:

Intrested to how this goes (and when if ever you have anything to report on your Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi hareem).

BTW, if it was me, I would put those electric bits on the top shelf and the tanks towards the bottom... Just in case of any sort of water spillage. ;)

Intrested to how this goes (and when if ever you have anything to report on your Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi hareem).

BTW, if it was me, I would put those electric bits on the top shelf and the tanks towards the bottom... Just in case of any sort of water spillage. ;)

I wont be updating anyone on the Nichols :( I took them back on Friday :( They just didn't click for me. Pretty fish, but, I just found them dull :/

NAS will be moving soon (i'm thinking brine shrimp hatcher) and i chuck a towel over the printer when i fanny around :D I work in IT so easily replaced if it goes fizz bang pop!

Painting the back, need to leave it until tomorrow morning for 2nd coat :)

Welcome to the shellies club :good: You won't be disappointed, they have so much personality.

Fully agree, glossed backs are the way to go!

Looking forward to more pictures soon.

DSC02319.jpg

Tank and filter sorted.

Phoned loads of MA stores today looking for Multis, i'll tell you one thing, they are hard to find!

Maybe go for something else than multis? Brevis are supposed to be good. Like the black on black scape. Where's the shells? :hey:

Interesting
Looks like water changes could be fun down there.

only supposed to do small water changes with Tangs due to natural conditions never changing.....so i read somewhere! :> thats my excuse anyway :>

Maybe go for something else than multis? Brevis are supposed to be good. Like the black on black scape. Where's the shells? :hey:

na , multis all the way....unless i struggle! Shells on order, hunting rocks this week :)

shells and 20kg of rocks dispatched on Friday, Ammonia processing with mature as i've got nitrite showing, hoping it will sort itself out by the end of this week. Found some Multi's but uncertain on stocking plans at the moment, things might change, need to make sure the Heliantus are still ok to collect. Will update when stuff arrives!

Most reactions

trending

Back