110 Gallon South American Biotope

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Just a quick update... about a week ago, I tore down the tank, almost completely.  I moved the fish into a 20G tank I have set-up nearby, so that all this activity wouldn't affect them, although I'm sure they didn't like being moved.

Anyway, the water from the tank was COMPLETELY removed.  The rocks were completely removed.  And many of the plants (not all) were completely removed.

While the tank was empty, I took the opportunity to squirt H2O2 directly on the algae on the back glass, and all sides of the tank glass.  Completely saturated it, and left it to sit for at least 15 minutes, but I believe a bit longer.

The rocks were placed into a sink which was filled with water and a mega dose (not sure how much I used) of H2O2 was placed into the sink as well, and allowed to soak for a bit...  then all rocks were scrubbed with a plastic bottle brush to remove as much algae as was humanly possible.  Then the rocks were replaced into the tank.

The tank was refilled and I turned on the circulation pump (~600gph) for about 30 minutes.  During this time the removed plants were given a quick H2O2 dunk (1:10 dilution in water) and then placed into a 1:1 liquid carbon solution... The plants were then gently rubbed to remove the algae, as best could be done.

The tank was then emptied once again, and the plants replaced, in addition to the new plants I had just purchased.  The tank was then refilled, brought to temperature and the fish readded.

After one week, this is a video of what the plants and tank look like now: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56876192@N03/11717379573/

Quick snapshots as well:

Left

Center

Right

I've since removed the bacopa species, and given them an algae removal treatment as well as the purple cabomba you see that isn't looking particularly well currently.  I am hoping that it will bounce back.  The green cabomba still looks absolutely fantastic.

Been about 6 weeks since the last update... Algae came back AGAIN... so a new plan.

No rocks - as they are a breeding ground for the algae...

I bleached the plants that I had and replanted them...

And I bought some more plants, hopefully increased plant load will help.  I've also increased the water changes - 30% every M-W-F.

Right side:

Middle:

Left side:

Close up on some ludwigia that got the 'algae dip'

Some new cabomba - as the old stuff didn't take to the bleach dip very well:

Bacopa post 'dip'

Neons, cabomba - dwarf sag in the foreground, and a nice amazon sword in the back.

Parrot feather in the back...

black molly

Nice, i actually like this without the rocks, just looks more natural imho.

Really hope the bleach dips and h2o2 will help and eradicate the algae for you, as well as the 3 times weekly 30% water changes.

You'll be busy for next few weeks with that. 
yes.gif

Really hope this gets rid of it D: Tank looks good and I like it more without the rocks.
I know you're very picky about driftwood but are you going to keep your eye out for some?

I will be looking... but I'm dumping a ton of money right now my son's piano lessons... :sad: :D  Not sure which to feel more strongly.

Oh well, it's an investment, I suppose.

I still have the rocks.  I might put some back.

Time for an update...

This tank has it was last described here is no more.  :(   The fish went through a challenging time, but never really seemed to mind the algae.

The corydoras (as ever) are quite content and happy, the neons are still quite lovely and active and the white skirts that I added at some point last year are also doing quite well, but the algae was just too much, especially after the summer break.  

The fish have all been rehomed to a 20 gallon tall I have in the classroom, and the tank itself is going through a bleach cycle.  I am killing EVERYTHING in the tank.  Completely starting from scratch on this one...

Next decision is what I will be doing with it...

Hopefully it will be better this time around..looking forward to what you do with it :)

Final update:  The tank is moving on.  A friend of mine from work is looking to upgrade his current 55 gallon tank to house a large cichlid he has (I can't remember the specie).  He will be taking the tank to put in his basement in his new house (once he gets the final okie-dokie from his wife.  (She's already agreed to the 6 foot tank, he just doesn't think she realizes how big that really is yet.)

Anyway, I will be housing the tank empty in my classroom until he has had a chance to build a stand for it.  He went over the plans with me regarding the stand.  It should be a lovely looking thing and the tank will be put to good use.  Now I just have to figure out what I am going to do with all the extra paraphernalia associated with the tank.  

Its probably for the best.  THis will stop me from being tempted to drop hundreds of dollars into the tank to get it back to where I had hoped it would be.  Maybe one day I will find a way to make the tank exactly what I had hoped this one would be.  I still have the fish from it, in a 20 gallon tall.  They will remain there indefinitely.  I may plant that tank a bit with some easy to grow stuff, like some java fern, anubias, etc.  Ultimately, I don't need a huge tank at school with me, just a little something to look at from time to time will be nice.  Going with a smaller tank will enable me to move it closer to my desk, so that it will be easier to enjoy.

I did lose one of the three corydoras late last week.  Not sure why he died either, although with everything that he'd been through I assume he had just had enough and his old age caught up to him at last.  Everyone else seems quite happy and healthy and the numbers are all straight down the line perfect for where they should be... except for perhaps that mystery chemical that kept killing the other fish.

Anyway, thanks for taking this journey with me.  I'd say it was fun... but it was as much heartbreaking as it was enjoyable.  I learned a great deal along the way, and I still have the mystery to solve.  I have no idea why or how the fish were killed during all this, and I'm guessing I never will figure it out now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back