10L Planted Tank _-'-_-'-_ Algae Issue, Any Ideas? _-'-_-&

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

b1030420

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Ive got a litle 10 litre tank setup for 3 months - added plants (glosso and dwarf hair grass) about 2 weeks ago

Using subs. fertilizer and a litle bit (half the doze) of liquid ferts

DIY co2

Chaeto algae bulb (marine 3X3w Led running same spectrum as topical aqua plant req.) on about 11 hours a day. black out back n sides no direct sunlight.

Both hair grass and glosso carpet are doing fine, but ive got green slimy algae on the 2 rocks in there, aswell as some green hair algae on the rocks too, as well as on the dwarf hair grass.

Any ideas on how to get rid of it. Ive tried total blackout for 36 hours no good :/

Glosso needs co2 ferts and good light to thrive, but the algae seems to grow faster. :( sad bunny.

Why use marine leds for tropical? Am curious xD

Also check your water stats for high nitrates, you may need to start doing less hours of light a day and more water changes.

Too high lighting, to long photo period and not enough CO2 is what's causing your probs. If you added excel or pressurized CO2 and shortened photo period to about 8 hours it would solve it but that is still very high lighting which leaves you open for algae. Higher light the less room for error.

A few extra points to above - no half ferts. The bottle dose probably isn't enough, so at least that (make sure it has nitrate and phopshate in it.
You also might want to consider ditching the DIY CO2 (pos. unstable) in favour of a liquid Carbon as you're only 10L so won't cost too much.
Finally good flow in those little nano's can be a nightmare - Have a good think about how to distribute it. I directed mine down and along the side to try and get a swirl. That was for a HC carpet tho, but similar.

EDIT: and ignore Tech's high nitrate thing....he wasn't thinking straight
tongue2.gif

Why use marine led for tropical? > Because it was £10 which is waaay cheaper than buying a branded LED tropical grow light. (bit of digging and the bargains are out there
tongue2.gif
  ) - LED for marine chaeto algae (not corals by the way)

The DIY co2 is tried and tested, lasts about 4-6weeks. cant be affording presurised co2 canisters so it'l do

Ive just invested on a timer gonna set it to 9 hours a day, as well as raising the light up a bit.

As for flow, didnt realise it was that important.
confused.gif
Although this 10l tank does have a "hang on back filter" with a sponge, and came free with a marina 60l tank, so i presume there b enough flow.

Maybe it might be worth investing in something like the flow pumps like for marines? whatya think?

Also:

The substrate is 2cm of "tetra's complete substrate" and is topped up once a week with "API's leaf zone" - Apparently one has some things the other doesnt and visa versa. Could overdosing cause algae growth? Ive given the two rocks and the glass a scrub, but id rather prevent, rather than treat algae.

Dont wanna make the tank to "toxic either tho, ive got a trio of pricey guppies in there aswell as a colony of sakuru cherry shrimps.

Ill get around to uploading a photo

SO19Firearms said:
A few extra points to above - no half ferts. The bottle dose probably isn't enough, so at least that (make sure it has nitrate and phopshate in it.
You also might want to consider ditching the DIY CO2 (pos. unstable) in favour of a liquid Carbon as you're only 10L so won't cost too much.
Finally good flow in those little nano's can be a nightmare - Have a good think about how to distribute it. I directed mine down and along the side to try and get a swirl. That was for a HC carpet tho, but similar.

EDIT: and ignore Tech's high nitrate thing....he wasn't thinking straight
tongue2.gif

You wut, Oh yea. I give up helping people rofl.

Lol its a common misconception Techen, lots of people will say and write high nitrate causes algae but its a myth. ;)

Most reactions

Back