10ft By 2ft By 2ft Fish Tank Help.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GeordieFishLover

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello and thank you for reading this post what I'm wanting to know is what type of glass and is it difficult to make a 10ft by 2ft by 2ft tank?
4ft is too small for me :drool:

Hi 12mm minimum thickness with 4/5 cross braces on each top and bottom and around the edge of the base and top but its easy enough to make providing you have got the space and glass cutting tools to do it or you can get it cut for you from a glass window fitting company or simular

i just priced glass 2 build an 8ft tank for myself & it worked out 3times the pices that im going 2 pay boss 2 come out 2 my house & build 2 so shop around m8

p.s. ive heard a lot bad thing about BOSS but saw there work & it looks good its just like everthing els its the luck of the draw
:good: luck wi ur new tank

12mm in a 2ft tall tank is overkill. 8mm would be fine for an experienced builder, but if this is your first "big" tank build, 10mm would be better :good:

As above though, you will need to brace it. you'd get away with 4 cross braces on the top, but 5 would be better, with runners on the front and back edges at both top and bottom to get the gluing area.

If you haven't built a tank a foot or two below this size before though, I'd call in a pro. Large tanks put a lot of pressure of their seams, so the margin for error is small. Mess it up and around 1000l of water finds it's way onto your floor very quickly. That's messy, expensive and inconvenient, especially when you consider most insurance companies will not cover the cost of an aquarium leaking and damaging home interiors :crazy:

All the best
Rabbut

12mm in a 2ft tall tank is overkill. 8mm would be fine for an experienced builder, but if this is your first "big" tank build, 10mm would be better :good:

As above though, you will need to brace it. you'd get away with 4 cross braces on the top, but 5 would be better, with runners on the front and back edges at both top and bottom to get the gluing area.

If you haven't built a tank a foot or two below this size before though, I'd call in a pro. Large tanks put a lot of pressure of their seams, so the margin for error is small. Mess it up and around 1000l of water finds it's way onto your floor very quickly. That's messy, expensive and inconvenient, especially when you consider most insurance companies will not cover the cost of an aquarium leaking and damaging home interiors :crazy:

All the best
Rabbut
can anybody tell me how much it roughly cost just the tank no lid or light for one this size?
and will most shops order it for me?
cheers.

I would suggest using 12mm Glass, purely for the peace of mind.

10' x 2' x 2' would be an unusual size,could possibly have to be custom made, also for a tank that long you would usually have it wider, i would suggest something along the lines of 10' x 4' x 3' that way teh stock list of fish could be increased to some cosniderably larger fish, if you want to go for smaller schooling fish then your original sizes would be fine.

custom made 10 x 2 x 2 i would think will cost you upto £700 for the tank only

8 mm is no good really for a 10ft tank 8mm will bend even with bracing there is tremendous outward pressure from the water its not the height that really needs to be considered in this case its more the length mate 8mm would be risky.

the thickness of the glass is almost irrelevant against the length, as it needs proper bracing in every case, the main determining factor is the depth.

for 2' you could get away with 6mm, but 8mm is a better bet ( but 2x the cost)

AS you are asking questions like this I strongly advise you to get a pro to do it, and it will probably be substantially cheaper too.

If the money side isnt a problem, for a tank that size id be looking at acrylilc.

hi there mate it will cost you £306 pound for the tank from a place called www.poseidons-palace.co.uk they can dilver for £0.60p per mile or get it delived to you at £13.50 per ft and thats 10ft x 2ft x2ft at 10 mm glass go on the website and use the aquarium builder they are located in west yorkshire
hope this helps

champion im from north shileds like i was ganna get them to do me a tank but i think there is a local one 4 us like just near birtley i will find oot for ya kidda and give ya msg back what ya gana keep in ya tank like

champion im from north shileds like i was ganna get them to do me a tank but i think there is a local one 4 us like just near birtley i will find oot for ya kidda and give ya msg back what ya gana keep in ya tank like
fairly new to it.. i want nice large tank biggest ill ever get like im looking on ebay 2nd hand ones yana, erm probs the usual stuff, guppies, tetras, plecs, catfish, etc etc

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back