10 Gallon Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cjhubbs

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Like many other people I recieved a 10 gallon starter tank and kit for Christmas. I have looked around and I would like to thank you all for being such a great help with your immense insight into owning and caring for a fish tank, which is why I decided to make join the forum :). Currently, I am working on cycling the tank right now but I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for stocking the tank. I have been thinking about having my male betta fish as the main center piece for the tank and yes I understand they may be territorial. I have been doing quite a bit of reading and have found a few lists which show what fish may work with a male betta fish. So far it seems that platys, swordtails, rasbora, white cloud minnow, plecos, mollies, neon tetras, cardinals tetras, cory catfish and ottos can be compatible with male bettas. I also was wondering if it is a good idea to try and put a male betta in a tank with other fish and if so how I would go about it ? Thanks for the help
rolleyes.gif
!

Some people will say bettas are too aggressive to live with any fish, but as long as they don't have long flowing fins or are really colorful, you should be fine. Since bettas are top-dwellers, you should try and aim for something that stays out of his top third of the tank. You could do the betta, 6 pygmy cories, and some white clouds (I'm not very familiar with white clouds, so I don't know if this would work). A lot of schooling fish need more swimming room or get too big for a ten gallon, so I'm not sure about the white clouds. Pygmy cories would probably work. I'm sure somebody else will jump in.

I don't think white clouds would be as good a choice as some others. Microrasboras would be a nice choice. Trigonostigma espei, or Galaxy Rasboras would work nicely. And I would go with a true bottom dwelling dwarf cory, rather than the C. pygmaeus - they spend more time in mid-water. I'd like to suggest either C. hastatus or even C. panda (they get a little bigger than the pygmy). If you have a good filter and are diligent about water changes and don't overfeed, this is a good mix, I believe but I've never kept a betta. Definitely stay away from male guppies and bettas though.

Another option I've seen is to get a tank divider for a 10 gallon, and put one betta on each side. Heavily plant the tank, especially along the divider, and you have two beautiful fish in the same tank. Just a thought. Or even get a few females and place them on the other side. The male might show off a bit more with that combination than alone with other species.

I have my betta with ottos and endlers in a 10 gallon. Also have a ghost shrimp and snail in there too. Only problem is the ottos keep dieing. No signs of foul play just seem to keep getting ottos with no life left.

-Your Male Betta
-5 Pygmy Cory Cats
-4 Cherry Barbs (Males are the bright red ones)
OR
-5 Bloodfin Tetra

Make sure you get some floating plants to make the betta feel safe and not want to hide in your decorations that will be in the mid water area and if he does that then he might attack the barbs or tetras. And for picking out your betta make sure hes all happy and interactive when you go near his cup or whatever theyre sold in at youre store that way you'll know he will be more interested in people than bugging other fish.

Hello Everyone,
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Like many other people I recieved a 10 gallon starter tank and kit for Christmas. I have looked around and I would like to thank you all for being such a great help with your immense insight into owning and caring for a fish tank, which is why I decided to make join the forum :). Currently, I am working on cycling the tank right now but I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for stocking the tank. I have been thinking about having my male betta fish as the main center piece for the tank and yes I understand they may be territorial. I have been doing quite a bit of reading and have found a few lists which show what fish may work with a male betta fish. So far it seems that platys, swordtails, rasbora, white cloud minnow, plecos, mollies, neon tetras, cardinals tetras, cory catfish and ottos can be compatible with male bettas. I also was wondering if it is a good idea to try and put a male betta in a tank with other fish and if so how I would go about it ? Thanks for the help
rolleyes.gif
!
Plecos can get up to 3 feet big and would require a tank almost 300 gallons full grown. So dont get a pleco. I would recomend a planted tank with maybe about 6 cherry shrimp, probaly some sort of snail and maybe some guppies(NOT FANCY TAIL) instead of getting a pleco which can grow massivly you can get a small corey catfish and they generally dont get that big:) just make sure the needs of the fish you decide to add are similar(like bettas need a heatet while some fish dont like warm waters)
Another TOTALLY different direction for a tank that size would be an african dwarf frog tank(adf) you can probaly house 6 male frogs in a tank that size and they are really fun but not to hard to care for!(they DO require a heater and low flow filter)
DONT: house bettas with african dwarf frogs, since the adf will mistake your bettas tail for food(they have bad eyesight) and will bite your betta
Also DONT: mistake an african CLAWED frog for a african DWARF frog. The difference is, african dwarf frogs are, friendly and the males like to live in groups and african CLAWED frogs have claws on their feet and will possibly attack other frogs or fish with their claws.
Have fun!

Bettas are solitary fish and best kept that way, Some Bettas are fine with tank mates while others are not when considering tank mates for a Betta always have a back up plan in case things turn nasty.

Tank mates can also cause some Bettas to become shy, withdrawn, hide and fin bite, all this stress suppresses the fishes immune system and they can get sick, Or the Betta just kills the tank mates.

Cycle the tank make sure its heavily planted make sure there is hardly any current then go out and buy the nicest Betta you can find and give him a home on his own.

. Or even get a few females and place them on the other side. The male might show off a bit more

I have never heard of that

Heres why I think it won't work.

You need at least 5 females for a sorority and IMO 10 gallons is too small, Let alone divided 10 gallon.
If the male can see the females and cant get to one after a while it may cause distress as he is hyped to breed.
And if the females can see him it would cause them to be eggy, and this could cause issues if they become egg bound, it may also trigger aggression in the sorority, Think 5 hormonal females.

OP needs to research proper stocking, bioloads, and fish comparability.
Alot of the stocking mentioned is not appropriate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Its why I suggested a Betta on its own.

I mean in general not you Nick were all other the place here. Lol. Some suggestions not great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back