10 Gallon Tank Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shouto

Reaction score
Hello! I was given a 10 gallon tank for my birthday about two months ago. I bought two molly fish and both seemed to be fine until about two weeks later one of them died. I did some brief reading to make sure 10 gallons are enough for molly fish, but since one of them have died I've now read otherwise from different sources. Since they're fast swimmers they need around 20 gallons at least (is what I read). It's too late to return my other molly and I can't upgrade it to a bigger tank at the moment. It's still pretty young so I'm hoping I've got a little time... for now though, it's living by itself. I want to get a few cory fish since they seemed to do okay in a ten gallon but I'm wondering if they'll be beneficial to my molly? Perhaps a better question would be, since I'd like to avoid getting any more mollies, is there another species of small fish that would live comfortably in a ten gallon that would get along with the molly? Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Before we can recommend fish we need to know the following:

Has the tank been cycled? If not please read the following link

http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Also, please provide the following water measurements. If you don't know how to have your water tested take a sample of it to your LFS and have them test it (make sure they give you the actual numbers not just say your water is fine) or purchase your own testing kit (which is recommended that anyone in the fish hoby do)

Ammonia

Nitrite

Nitrate

PH

Hardness (Can be found with a quick google search for water hardness for your area)

Thank you for the feedback. Any idea where I should purchase a water testing kit and how much the typically cost?

They cost around thirty bucks at petco.

Petsmart and petco will test it for free

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back