10 Gallon Stocking List

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Joe_Shafe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I'm planning on transferring my two Platys to a larger 10 gallon tank and want to add some other fish. So I've compiled a list of fish I'd like to stock with and wanted some feedback as to whether this would be fine.

2x Platys
6x Celestial Pearl Danios
1x Honey Gourami
4x Pygmy Corys
3x Amano Shrimp

Thanks,
-Joe :)

I would leave out the danios and get two more dwarf cories. The danios IMO need a 20 gallon minimum for their activity level.

Well the danios are small. CPD's only grow to an inch at most so I thought I'd be okay or should they be in bigger tanks. I've read in a lot of places that they are great for smaller tanks.

personally I second zephyr

this is just based on my own experience with them.

I've also been told in numerous places that a 10gallon tank for the CPD's (or fireworks rasbora as I've seen them named) is fine for a group of 6 as they are only small.

However, if you want a micro species that would be compatible, then how about Rasboras brigittae? (I've put the latin name because I've found too many common names for the same thing). I personally would leave out the honey gourami (that's from personal experience of a dwarf gourami). How about other live bearers, like guppies?

One last thing is that cories should also be in groups of 6 minimum. So you would need 6 of those (which would also rule out your HG). I'm assuming you'll be using sand a a substrate, as cories need sand not gravel to exhibit natural behaviour, as well as protecting them from damage (gravel can damage their barbs).

As for your amanos. My last tank had amanos and cherries in. They don't add a massive bioload, so I personally would up those numbers or you'll never see them. you could easily have 10 amanos in a 10 gallon with no problems (although bear in mind they'll be as big as, if not bigger than, your pygmy cories :p). If the size is an issue, try cherries. They breed easily (so you may have some to share/sell), with fish in the tank you wont be over-run because the fish will eat most of the babies. Plus, they're bright red so easier to spot.

May I ask the dimensions and also size in litres of your tank? That may help. As I personally don't see a problem with the CPD's if the tank is long.

The tank is 20 in. by 10 in. and 10 gallons or 51 cm by 25 cm and 39 liters. Also can you tell me more as to why you wouldn't get the Gourami because I'd love to have one if possible.

You could put two or three more amanos in too, they like to be in slightly bigger groups and put hardly any bioload on the tank.

6 pygmy cories an 6 cpd and some shrimp. honey gouramis are great but realy prefer it warmer than cpd. i keep my cpd at 22.5 and honeys at 26 or higher. i gues cories would be 24 so smak bang in the middle. however cpd realy need to feel safe to be seen. a male gourami probably wont help

Well if not a Gourami is there any other fish you would suggest similar to that because I was looking at having the Gourami as the centerpiece of the tank.

my gourami was a bully. However, I've heard lots of good things.

so maybe 6 pygmy corys, 6/7 CPD's and a honey or dwarf gourami would be fine

my gourami was a bully. However, I've heard lots of good things.

so maybe 6 pygmy corys, 6/7 CPD's and a honey or dwarf gourami would be fine

Would that be overstocked, with the two platys I already have?

If you do a fishless cycle using ammonia, by the end of that the filter will have more than enough bacteria to support all the fish you intend to buy. With this method, you can fully stock that tank at once.

I would say take out the gourami and put in the platies, I just think there would not be enough room to put them together.

TekFish :good:

oh yeah, I forgot about the platies... either no HG and put your platies in, or rehome your platies and get the HG if that's what you'd like.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back