1 Platy Fry Flashing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I'm not considering this an emergency at this point so I've posted here.

Anyhow... I have 23 platy fry that are 2 days old. I am keeping them in a breeder net with good water circulation. 22 are doing great... the 23rd is flashing. I did the obvious first thing and tested the water (I tested the water in the breeder net itself rather than in the tank outside the net)... nothing unusual to report there, nice and clean with 0 for ammonia and nitrites. All of my tanks were cleaned yesterday to be ready for Christmas.

Not sure what it is that would be bothering just the 1 fry.... the tank also holds the other 22 fry, 1 juvenile platy and 1 adult platy.

Any ideas? Is that one just maybe sickly? Every single platy born has survived so far, not even any eaten!

Any sign of ich or damage to the fish?

I can't keep track of which one it is long enough to scoop it into a cup to see. No sign of ich on my 2 bigger platies and nothing that I can see on any of the babies.

I suppose there is a possibility of damage... just can't see him well enough through the net and can't make out which it is from the top.

I know, not such helpful information!

:) No, not too much to go on. What I've done in the past is separate some of the fry so they are in smaller groups, then it's easier to observe a particular fry. If you have another breeding net or hang on container you could put them in for a short period that might help. Even though observing it sounds tedious it is important because if it is a parasite like ich you'll want to know as it will start spreading to the other fry and you'll want to treat for it. If it's not then you can feel relieved it's just an itchy fish! ;)

I had originally put some in the net and some in the shrimp tank but they hide too well there so I moved them all back together.

I have one of those old style plastic breeders but I've never used it as there is no circulation at all with that one.

The old breeder would work since this is just a temporary thing while you try to examine the affected fry. Once you are satisfied you can put them all back together or quarantine the 1 fry if you find something wrong.

Ah! I thought you meant more permanently. Yeah, that would be alright then.

Update, all fry still alive, found two more since in the tank and moved them in with the others making 25 now. The one that was flashing isn't anymore. So... none the wiser but hoping that is good since all look healthy and are swimming and eating fine.

Excellent. Maybe you could post a photo using the macro mode on your camera? Yes yes! :)

I could try! I broke my picture taking jar so haven't got a container I can take a picture through.... so it would have to be through the mesh.

Still didn't do well... took from the top but could NOT get my camera (not so great camera) to focus on the right thing... so kind of blurry.

I have 2 that seem a lot more yellow than the others (one is top left) and you can't see from the picture but I have the odd one here and there getting specks of black on their tails already. Can't wait to see what they turn into.

GwensBabiesDec262012_zpsf2c19215.jpg

Thanks, that's a perfect shot actually. Color is what I was interested in. I can see a couple that look promising, like you said, nice and yellow.

Mommy is quite yellowish/cream with black spots... no idea what the father could look like so I hope for a surprise. I've never had platy babies before.

Personally I prefer them to guppy. For me anyway the results have been nicer. I've gotten some really nice fry out of sunset wag platy before.

I don't really plan to breed them at the moment (just have any babies that comes from Gwen as my other platy is a virgin). I am planning an all female tank. Possibly might keep a male and place it in with my guppies... but I don't yet know enough to know whether a male platy would harass my female guppies to insanity or not.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back