1 gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Liz05

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have my molly fry living in a 1 gallon tank, with no heater. The light keeps the temperature at 74 F, but the weather is getting colder. Im afraid the lights won't keep it warm enough. How can I keep it heated? I don't think you can buy a heater that small, right? I was thinking to just move it to a warmer part of the house, but its sitting near a heat outlet now.

You can buy 25 watt heaters, but if you're going to spend that kind of money you might as well buy a bigger tank and be done with it. A 1 gallon isn't really suitable for a molly anyway so maybe its time to start writing to Santa a little early?

nooooooo don't listen to her Liz05, its too late for me but once you start down the maybe a bigger tank here and this and that there it doesn't stop :p

And if AA happens to post any links to aquatic shops, run away fast as its all down hill from there .... :p :p ;) ;) :hyper:

don't know if they have them out there, but i saw a small heater at walmart for smaller tanks (1 and 2 gallon one they sell) for like $8. thinking of getting one myself.

The smaller the tank is the easier it is for the temperature to change drastically. I suggest getting a bigger tank for the fry. At least a ten gallon so they can have some room to swim. Ten gallons aren't that expensive even when you have to buy the equipment for them.

but i saw a small heater at walmart for smaller tanks (1 and 2 gallon one they sell) for like $8. thinking of getting one myself.

I've seen a heater at walmart that was for 2 to 5 gallon tanks, but never one for 1 gal. tanks. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes out open for that!

I read a post on another thread that stated that it was actually good to have a slightly bigger heater, since the temperature can be adjusted anyways. If this is true, the heater question would boil down to: Does it fit in your tank? (Some heaters are too tall for a 1 gal.)

Of course a 1 gallon isn't suitable for a molly, but it is suitable for several molly fry.When I get my 35 though, I may have to use it to keep them in until they grow large enough to be sold or given away.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back