1 Dead Angel, 1 Almost Dead And 1 Mia Algae Eater

GouramiGirl87

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with my tank its a 20 gallon with now 1 angel and 2 platys and a CAE. I had to flush one angel tonite because it was just floating around and I felt awful. The other is almost as bad. There is nothing wrong with the water. Nitrates are slightly high, but still very safe. My algae eater also has been hiding since I got home 5 hrs ago. The surviving angel is also hiding and my female platy is hiding also but she is very pregnant so I'm not worried about her. What is killing my fish???? The ammonia and ph and nitrites and everything else is fine. there are no visible signs wrong with my angels. The only thing was their fins have been clamped up for 2 days and I am yet to figure out what is wrong HELP!!!

Please don't flush fish when there alive it's an awful death for them.
Need to look at your stats i'm afraid.
Clamped fins are a sign of stress and desease.
Any flicking and rubbing against objects or laboured breathing.
Added any meds to the tank.

Angels seem to be quite sensitive to nitrates and need really clean water. Also, our angels were fin clamped when they were ill from the stressy illness they had. How big are the angels? How long have you had them?

have you added anything new to the tank, inhabitants, plants, decor, new water conditioner etc etc

Angels seem to be quite sensitive to nitrates and need really clean water. Also, our angels were fin clamped when they were ill from the stressy illness they had. How big are the angels? How long have you had them?

The remaining survivor is pretty small smaller than you would get in petstores. I guess it is about 2 inches long? But i've had them since they were itty bitty. At least 7 months.

you flush them when they're still alive... i couldn't do that :-(

Trust me I HATE doing it too, but I don't like picking them off of the filter or letting them float around my tank dying for 3 days. I am a MAJOR animal lover and having fish has been SUPER hard on me. My first set of fish got ick, then I kept goldfish that kept dying (NOT FUN) Then I got some dwarf gouramis who both died randomly of unknown causes, no warning at all. All levels were fine. Then I got 5 itty bitty angels from my boyfriend's co worker 3 died within 2 days, work of my paradise gourami I think. Got rid of him, Now I have these two well 1 now and my algae eater who has spontaneously combusted and is nowhere to be seen.
I hate flushing them alive, but I can't flick them in the head.

have you added anything new to the tank, inhabitants, plants, decor, new water conditioner etc etc

I added some platys over a month ago. Only 2. That's the only new thing.

How high is the nitrate reading.

That's not high.
I would with losing alot of fish maybe add a bacterial med to the tank.

If you've had the angels 7 months and they only got to that size, there's definitely been something wrong for a while. Badly bred angels seem to be even more susceptible to disease. The disease mine had started with clamped fins and lethargy, refusal to eat and hiding in darker areas of the tank. It progressed to massive finrot. All caused by the stress of getting them. I had my 4 in a 55g tank, and my first thought was that your tank isn't big enough for angels (and it's not in the long run), BUT your angel is tiny at the moment so it can't be that unless the water hasn't been stable?

If you've had the angels 7 months and they only got to that size, there's definitely been something wrong for a while. Badly bred angels seem to be even more susceptible to disease. The disease mine had started with clamped fins and lethargy, refusal to eat and hiding in darker areas of the tank. It progressed to massive finrot. All caused by the stress of getting them. I had my 4 in a 55g tank, and my first thought was that your tank isn't big enough for angels (and it's not in the long run), BUT your angel is tiny at the moment so it can't be that unless the water hasn't been stable?

I know the tank wasn't big enough, I was looking for a bigger tank, but no need now. They are just too sensitive to everything. I think I'm going to stick with gouramis for now on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back