1.0-3.0 ppm Ammonia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just logged back in to see what everybody has been saying. I will be purchasing the SafeStart tomorrow and I will add it to my brand new 120 litre tank. So you’re saying the sooner the better to add my fish from the 25 to the 120?

Yes, once you have the SafeStart you should be fine.

If you don't aerate tap water before adding it to the aquarium you could poison your fish with chlorine or chloramine. But for everyone who doesn't want to aerate their tap water before adding it to their aquarium, there is another reason you should do it besides helping the dechlorinator mix through the water and come in contact with the chlorine or chloramine.

Tap water is usually under pressure and can have all the gasses forced out of it. This can alter the pH, cause the fish to suffocate from lack of oxygen, and they can get gas bubble disease.

Prime (made by Seachem) is a good water conditioner during cycling periods, or at times when ammonia, nitrite are an issue. It is very concentrated, so the smallest bottle will last months. I don't recommend using it once the cycling is done and the tank is established, because it messes with too much chemistry, but during initial cycling it is good. After that I prefer API's Tap Water Conditioner because it does the least (dechlorinates, chloramine and heavy metals) and is so highly concentrated it lasts even longer.

A bacterial supplement like Tetra's SafeStart which I believe you are planning to get.

A good test kit. If you have strip tests now, you might consider a liquid API Master Combo; this has ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. These are basic tests; nitrate and pH tested periodically (once the tank is established), ammonia and nitrite if any sign of trouble occurs.

I will definitely have a good shop around tomorrow when I go for my safestart. Will keep an eye out for the prime or API

I use the test strips currently but I find for how many you get they are so expensive. I’ve nearly used them all but for how many you get it’s so expensive. Thanks again Byron.

I use the test strips currently but I find for how many you get they are so expensive. I’ve nearly used them all but for how many you get it’s so expensive. Thanks again Byron.
Liquid tests are better. If you cut the strips in half longways you get twice as many for the same price ;), just make sure your scissors are clean and dry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back