Photo

Betta AND Angel?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 reay6790

reay6790

• 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:07 PM

Can you put a betta in a tank with an Angelfish or two? My mother really wants one and I am wondering if I could put it in the same tank still or if I have to get another one...

#2 black angel

black angel

Fish Herder

• Retired Moderator
  • 4,987 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:13 PM

angelfish have an eye for anything long, flowing and flashy so would go for his fins. they can go with female bettas but even then the females will probably have a go at the angels fins.

#3 Whiskerz

Whiskerz

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

Some people have had a betta and an angel work fine in the same tank. I've tried keeping a betta and angelfish together, but my angel instantly went after the betta as soon as I put him in there. So the betta had to move to a 2.5 gallon, so my advice to you would be to not try keeping them together :)

However, you could put females with angelfish. I've had 2 females with mine before and they got along ok; but the angelfish still nipped at the females occasionally.

If your tank has a lot of hiding spaces, it could work :thumbs:

Edited by Whiskerz, 14 June 2005 - 06:27 PM.

#4 reay6790

reay6790

• 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:34 PM

thanks!

#5 sylvia

sylvia

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:48 PM

What size tank and with how many angels?

Generaly, it is not advised, but you could try (a minnimum of) 4 female bettas with 2 (adult) angels in at least a 30 gallon and see if it works out. Oftentimes, with these particular fish, it comes down to the individual's character.

Alternatively, if your mother realy likes bettas, maybe this is a chance for a new tank. You can keep a single one in a small (2-2.5 gallon or more is best IMO) bowl.

#6 reay6790

reay6790

• 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:41 PM

I think I'm just gonna use my old 5 1/2 gallon for one...thanks tho! Do I need a filter for one though?

#7 afireinside

afireinside

A Shrine To Madness

• Pip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:42 PM

i think so, i have a female betta in with my angel fishes ( i have a golden veil and a koi angel). shouldn't this topic be in the Betta section?

#8 sylvia

sylvia

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:51 PM

No you don't need a filter but still treat the tank like you would an ordinary one (when it comes to cycling etc - it will take longer without a filter though - do a fishless cycle - see the link in my signature for info - you can use gravel from your established tank to help speed it up). Also, test the water regularly and do a water change whenever you see nitrAtes rising above 20ppm (or if there's any trace of ammonia/nitrIte once you have the fish in there) or at least once a week if nitrAtes take logner to reach that level.

#9 -*-MicHAeL-*-

-*-MicHAeL-*-

Fish Addict

• 774 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

in my opinion it depends on they certain fishes personality but dont risk it

#10 afireinside

afireinside

A Shrine To Madness

• Pip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:35 PM

that is why i got my ghost glass catfish, those guys will stop the other fish from attacking. or nipping/ charging. it's really nice. they r like police cops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users