• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GrantyBoy

GrantyBoy

Fish Fanatic

• 116 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:49 PM

Hi All

One of my oscars has a open wound that doesn't appear to be healing, possibly getting bigger :( The wound is on his head, just in front of his left eye between there and his nostril. At first I didn't think anything of it as you know how oscars are, always bumping into thinks and cutting themselves. Mine have always healed within a week but this wound just doesn't want to heal.
He is on a varied diet with excellent water conditions and a course of melafix. I'm going to start soaking their morning pellets in liquid vitamin.

Is there anything else I coud try to help promote healing or does anyone think this could be the start of HITH :no:

Thanks in advance for your help :)
I'll try for some pics later

#2 freddyk

freddyk

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:53 PM

It certainly sounds like it can be an advancing case of HITH - a wound should heal quickly if the water is clean.

#3 GrantyBoy

GrantyBoy

Fish Fanatic

• 116 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:03 PM

Bump this topic

Wound is still there, not getting any bigger or any other signs of wounds. Doubt it is HITH now.
The wound looks pitted. Also, the eye next to the wound looks like popeye now.

Any advice on meds to treat this, think it could be a bacterial infection. Meafix doesn't seem to be having much on an effect. All other fish in the tank are fine.

I'll get a pic and post later today.
Thanks in advacne for your help

#4 rmm

rmm

• 15 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:14 PM

what temp do you have your water?

is he alone in the tank?

have you noticed any odd behavior from any of the other fish?

I would treat him in a separet tank if your not already doing so. I would also try primafix in conjuction to the melafix, they work great in combination and helps treat cotton-like fungal infections and internal and external bacterial infections.

I would try to treat without the use of chems when ever possible and stay up with 50% water changes every 2-3 days with a temp of around 80-82.

Good Luck

#5 GrantyBoy

GrantyBoy

Fish Fanatic

• 116 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the reply

Tank is at 24c, water conditions are fine

He shares the tanks with another Oscar, one angel fish and a Plec. There is no change at all in his behaviour, plus he doesn't seem to be affected by it. He doesn't scratch or anything like that. Appitite is fine (shock!). All other fish in the yanks are fine and show no signs of any infection.

I thought Primafix is the same Melafix, both Tea Tree oil just at different concentrations.

I am trying to stay away from meds, but I'm now considering chemical warefare as it has been so long since the sore has been open.

#6 rmm

rmm

• 15 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:47 PM

If you have a tank I would isolate him for a little while if possible, set up a hospital tank 15-20 gal would suffice as it's short term and will help with medicating. You wanna make sure to run NO carbon in the tank as it will hinder the medication useless. Make sure their are NO abressive sufaces were he can cause any stress to the wound and is stres free. While in the smaller tank make sure to remove any excess foods that he does not eat as random spikes can happen easily. Try the two meds in comb they may apear to be the same thing but are accually intended to target diffrent problems. Also try and bump the temp up to 27c but keep an eye on any weird behaviors.

Good Luck and keep me posted on his progress :)

#7 Chrisv32

Chrisv32

• 28 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:26 AM

He could have simply bumped his head on something. My oscar is very clumsy and always and forever bumping into things and getting flesh peeled off. mmm... sounds yummy. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users