• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jen

Jen

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:18 PM

I have an amazon sword that is huge, and is creating too much shade right now. My other plants seem to be suffering a bit, i think mostly because i just transplanted them, but I want to make sure the sword it's blocking too much light until they start to take off.

What is the best way to trim it back?

#2 KentBlokey

KentBlokey

Fishaholic

• 551 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:12 PM

Hi. When I trim mine I take a pair of scissors and cut the largest of leaves right at their base. Some people just take hold of the stem and snap it, I tried this and the whole ruddy thing came up and made a mess, also cutting it neatly won't damage the plant.

#3 abstract

abstract

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:16 PM

yup, like KentBlokey said trim it at the base...just make sure to remove as much as possible or else the remaining stem will rot....after doin it a few times you will probably be able to tell exactly where to snap it off the base without damaging anything and without using scissors

#4 guppygirl

guppygirl

This picture just won champion in BW flowers!! YAY!

• Pip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:19 PM

Well, I usually just pinch off the biggest, oldest or rotting leaves, and since I'm sure my sword has about a yard or more of roots, it doesn't really matter if I pull at it.
It is better if you use scissors or tweezers though, I've done comparative methods on my cabomba, and it recovers much better.
HTH! :thumbs:

#5 jimbooo

jimbooo

James flexton

• Pip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:10 PM

it's really technical for me and a lot of thought goes into it.

pick a leaf, hold tightly at the base, give it a tug, throw leaf away.

(but like guppy girl if i pulled out the plant the whole tank would come with it, the roots are HUGE as it's about a year old)

#6 guppygirl

guppygirl

This picture just won champion in BW flowers!! YAY!

• Pip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:28 PM

Actually if you look at the bottom of my tank, you'll see it's root system spans almost all of the floor of my tank! :o :rolleyes:

#7 Jen

Jen

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:28 PM

my roots are big, but since i just tansplanted it, they are still fairly localized

#8 ladyhawke

ladyhawke

Fish Crazy

• 221 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:22 AM

my roots are big, but since i just tansplanted it, they are still fairly localized

I just started with live plants and have 2 sword plants. When you put them in the tank should you take them out of the container/pot the roots are in and try to bury the roots in gravel, or just leave it the way it is and put it in the gravel? Thanks.

#9 jimbooo

jimbooo

James flexton

• Pip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:43 AM

remove the pot so the roots can spread. (and the rockwool)

#10 ladyhawke

ladyhawke

Fish Crazy

• 221 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:06 AM

remove the pot so the roots can spread. (and the rockwool)

Great thanks! :*)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users