Yellow spots?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jezah

Jezah

Fish Crazy

• 261 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 09:28 AM

My 3 month old dalmatian molly fry have recently developed some weird BIG yellow spots on them. Its not velvet I dont think, as they are big spot and the babies are healthy besides the spots. I am going to give the babies a concentrated salt bath for like 30 min, anyone have any idea what it could be?

#2 Ava_Banana

Ava_Banana

Fishaholic

• 569 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:04 AM

I have been breeding with Dalmation Mollies for the last 10 months or so.........

......quite a few of them have yellow/gold areas on their bodies.........

.......I put this down to breeding colouration.........you don't know what they have in their "lines".

This is a picture of one of my mollies...............it isn't that noticeable, but she does have a few tiny gold patches........

........which have been more prevalent amongst her fry......
Posted Image

Personally..........unless it looked like there was a problem..........I wouldn't mess with the water......

.....however, if the Mollies are on their own....... a little salt will only help.........

#3 Jezah

Jezah

Fish Crazy

• 261 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:32 AM

OH! That makes total sense since I have several other fish in the tank and none of the others have spots! Huh, interesting. I never knew yellow spots came naturally to some mollies. I already have some salt in the tank, but I gave the babies a extra concentrated dip just in case. They yellow spots didnt go away, which apparently would have happened if it had been velvet. So its probably what you said. I wonder if the spots will stay with them through adulthood..

#4 Ava_Banana

Ava_Banana

Fishaholic

• 569 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:50 AM

The yellow patches on my fry tended to get smaller as they grew older................................or the fish got bigger and the patches stayed the same size.............. :rolleyes:

#5 Ava_Banana

Ava_Banana

Fishaholic

• 569 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:02 PM

In fact.........I just went and took a couple more pics.......showing the yellow bits........are your similar?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Jezah

Jezah

Fish Crazy

• 261 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:07 PM

Wow, identical. Cool, now I am not as worried. I didnt think it was anything serious as they seemed healthy. I wonder what causes the spots...? Just genetics?

#7 Ava_Banana

Ava_Banana

Fishaholic

• 569 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:43 PM

Yup........I believe it is genetics......the mothers had a tiny bit on them.........it just seems to come out more in their offspring............

......the top pic of the two is of a 1.5 inch 6-7 month old........and the bottom pic is a couple of 0.5 inch 2-3 month olds.......

#8 35degreesofheel

35degreesofheel

• 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:55 PM

Ohhh this thread makes me feel better, I had a female platy kick the bucket after i bought a sick loach (didn't seem like it till it was in the tank.) And I was worried about all of my fish. My fish all have a good apetite, so I'm not worried anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users