Does your betta flare at you?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 VulcanNinja

VulcanNinja

Fish Crazy

• 206 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:19 AM

My Betta flares at me when I look at him. Not all the time, but sometimes...punk :fun: Just wondering if yours does also.

#2 Seahorse

Seahorse

Fishaholic

• 452 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:40 AM

Two of mine do.

The other ones greet me nicely. Dorks.

#3 Whiskerz

Whiskerz

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:41 AM

I have a betta that will flare at me if I put my face up to his tank :rolleyes:
Or if I put my finger up to him he'll flare ;)

#4 ral

ral

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:57 AM

Gir, my crowntail used to flare at me. He does not anymore.

#5 NinjaSmurf

NinjaSmurf

Devils Advocate

• Pip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:00 AM

All the friggin time. I swear, you'd think I was trying to kill him or something.

#6 Shark_Lover

Shark_Lover

Fishaholic

• 468 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:00 AM

lol

I don't have a betta. :-(

#7 Synirr

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:11 AM

Mine just swim back and forth begging for food! :lol:

#8 gale

gale

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:13 AM

Yes mine flares at me all the time whether I'm looking in the tank, have my finger on the side, or just minding my own business. To be fair the "other" betta (mirror) is only around when I am so maybe that's his thinking. I also sometimes catch him staring at me (the tank is next to the couch where I watch tv late at night) and if he's resting in his plant in the back of the tank and I look in there, he'll come right over and either stare or flare. He's quite a character. :lol:

Edited by gale, 21 December 2004 - 02:14 AM.

#9 littlefishie

littlefishie

I Harth Darth

• Pip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:29 AM

Captain Morgan flares at me occasionally, when he's being ornery and begging for another pellet.
Now my boyfriend's betta, Bonzai.. He'll flare at me, at Chris [boyfriend], his pellets, his bloodworms, his plant, a pen, a candy cane, the printer occasionally.. Everything except our friend Bryce. Who tried pellets, bloodworms, pens, food, his own face.. Bonzai just turned around and ignored him. :lol:
I guess he only likes to flare at Chris and I!

#10 Koda

Koda

Fishaholic

• 430 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:44 AM

Most of my bettas do the fishy feed me dance when they see me.But I have one that actually jumps for food when I take the top off his tank.I think with a bit of training we could work up an act that would rival anything those silly dolphins at Sea World can do :lol:

They save the flaring for each other :D

Koda

#11 SRC

SRC

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help

• Pip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:41 AM

I have 10 and none have ever flared at me lol.

They all get super excited when they see the silver food bag. I have several that look like cocker spaniels..shaking their little bodies so much..they look like they are doing a shimmy. :lol:

All of them will eat from my hand...they'll bite you too if you aren't careful lol.

#12 aloaring

aloaring

Fishaholic

• 611 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:57 AM

One of mine flares at me, he also flares at the puffer fish in the next tank!! :lol: : :lol: Don't think he realises what hes flaring at!! Whereas my other male betta leon actually lures the two ghost shrimp out by dropping food in front of their hiding place and then flares at them and chases them!! :rofl: :rofl: Very very funny to watch!! Bu the doesn't flare at me! :rolleyes:

#13 Joby

Joby

Hypan addict

• Pip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:26 AM

My son's red VT Alphie used to flare at us for the first week we had him, but now he just does the excited fishy dance when he sees us or should I say the Hikari pellet packet :fun:

#14 lolly

lolly

Fish Fanatic

• 64 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 12:14 PM

My Betta 'crawford' comes to see me @ side of tank, then flares @ guppys when they obstruct his view. I think it is sweet that he wants to look @ me!

:D

#15 mlaugh

mlaugh

Fish Fanatic

• 100 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:14 PM

My VT (Schuylkill) does. If I come close to his tank he immediately swims over and gets attitude. This is the same guy who tries to jump out of the tank and grab the food out of my hand when I feed him. My 2 crowns don't...Aidan will come see me but Smoke is fairly shy and only comes near when I lift the tank lid to feed him.

Silly fish. :)

#16 _groove_

_groove_

• 40 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:58 PM

Fabian flares at my finger whenever I point at him through the glass. He usually swims against the glass trying to get at me frantically when I stick my face there, or when I come by with the food bag.

#17 squiremaster

squiremaster

Fishaholic

• 443 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:42 AM

out of all the 11 months i had pebbles, he never flared at me. in fact I don't ever think he flared... unless he did behind my back...lol...rofl...roflcopter

#18 electric yellow

electric yellow

Fish Addict

• 805 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:48 AM

My two boys dont flare so to speak...but they swim around like lunatics when they see me and then when i give them their mirror to play with they go nuts and flare like mainiacs.

#19 azulfire24

azulfire24

Fishaholic

• 678 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:10 AM

out of all the 11 months i had pebbles, he never flared at me. in fact I don't ever think he flared... unless he did behind my back...lol...rofl...roflcopter

yet aGAIN NOT TO TRY A DIG AT U OR ANYTHING, BUT BEIN TOO COLD MAKES BETTAS SLUGGISH, WHEN U GET THAT HEATER U WILL PROBALLY SEE A WHOLE NEW SIDE OF UR LITTLE FRIEND!!! crap sorry but the caps, baaa i am not retypin it..

my ct oct only flares when i stick my hand in his water to move somthin, he also bits at my hand too!!!! :rolleyes:

#20 squiremaster

squiremaster

Fishaholic

• 443 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

yet aGAIN NOT TO TRY A DIG AT U OR ANYTHING, BUT BEIN TOO COLD MAKES BETTAS SLUGGISH, WHEN U GET THAT HEATER U WILL PROBALLY SEE A WHOLE NEW SIDE OF UR LITTLE FRIEND!!! crap sorry but the caps, baaa i am not retypin it..

my ct oct only flares when i stick my hand in his water to move somthin, he also bits at my hand too!!!! :rolleyes:

Betta's don't need heaters but it does make them more active. so just to let you know if you don't have a heater, make sure you keep him in room tempurature

#21 Netty

Netty

Siamese Fighting Fish......The clue is in the name!!

• Pip
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:13 PM

Bettas do need a heater and unless you live in a tropical climate, room temp is not high enough. They should be kept at around 27/28c. If the water is too cool it will weaken their immune system and leave them sluggish and prone to illness.

Edited by Netty, 15 March 2009 - 10:13 PM.

#22 Neon.Tetra

Neon.Tetra

Fish Fanatic

• 187 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

Whenever I get the yellow lid tub of flakes or the little white bag of bloodworms he doesn't stop dancing across the front of the glass!

#23 bronzecat

bronzecat

Leader of the Fishes

• Pip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

Doh......................5 YEAR OLD THREAD

#24 White Whale

White Whale

Granola bar gone bad....

• Pip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:47 PM

Mine don't. However, Lockdown will bite my finger if I stick it in the water. My new double-tail just looks at me as if I were a peasant - "No food? Then go to your duties while I swim carefree..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users