• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sumocopter

sumocopter

Fish Fanatic

• 89 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Hi folks,

The filter in my little shrimp tank died a while ago.  I've just kinda left it, doing weekly water changes and thinking 'well it's only shrimp, they're not much bioload anyway.'  Now I'd like to be a bit kinder to my shrimp and I am considering putting 3 scarlet badis in the tank for a bit of fishy movement.

The tank is a 19l (I think) triangle.  Previously the tank had a Rena Superclean 40 which did the job but the flow was a bit on the high side and buffetted the shrimp about.  It also took up some space in an already tiny tank.  To make life even more interesting the tank is in a bedroom and thus needs to be as quiet as possible.  I have considered a HOB but the tank has a raised plastic part over the top of the tank glass and I can't find any of these of a suitable size, they're all too long!

Does anyone have any advice about the filter possibilities?  I'm not averse to a bit of DIY when it comes to either the filter or the tank.

Cheers for your help!

#2 leighton_87

leighton_87

Fishaholic

• 473 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Try googling DIY sponge filter - perfect for shrimp tanks as nowhere for the shrimp to get sucked in and can be made as small as you want.

If you need further information try posting in the DIY section of the forum as I'm certainly no expert on how you'd actually do one.

#3 sumocopter

sumocopter

Fish Fanatic

• 89 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I've got a couple of sponge filters going in another tank.  A little noisy for the bedroom....

#4 aly_starh

aly_starh

Fish Herder

• Winner - Pet Of The Month
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

I would highly recommend a DIY sponge filter, very easy to make and does the job! If you are worried about the noise, just shop around for a ‘silent’ pump. :)

#5 sumocopter

sumocopter

Fish Fanatic

• 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Ok so I tried a sponge filter last night and I'm getting a bit of grief about the noise of the bubbles! Anyone got any other ideas?

#6 phantomlink

phantomlink

Fishaholic

• 644 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

besides for sponge filters, the smallest filter I can think of is an AquaClear 20, I had 3 110's and when I bought a 20 I laughed at how small the little thing is, it should suit your 5.5g tank fine

#7 CezzaXV

CezzaXV

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

I've got one of these for the occasions when I need to set up a fry tank. Lovely and compact, silent and cheap. Also a reasonable amount of space inside for me to cram in media from my main filter.

http://www.amazon.co...60626797&sr=8-2

They also do more powerful versions, though I'd have thought that one should be sufficient for a 19L.

#8 phantomlink

phantomlink

Fishaholic

• 644 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Internal are quieter, but hold so much less media, at least my Fluval U2 did I was glad when I stopped using it but it was so expensive

They also take up room that filter might only be 3cm/4cm/10cm but thats still a nice chunk out of a 20l tank

Edited by phantomlink, 12 February 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#9 sumocopter

sumocopter

Fish Fanatic

• 89 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Is the Aquaclear 20 available in the UK? I can't find it :(

#10 phantomlink

phantomlink

Fishaholic

• 644 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

for some reason they have the powerhead and all the filter media parts, but no filter on Amazon.co.uk  I dunno what stores you have but I dont know why I cant find it in Europe either

#11 eaglesaquarium

eaglesaquarium

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of the perfect fish tank

• Global Moderator
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Ok so I tried a sponge filter last night and I'm getting a bit of grief about the noise of the bubbles! Anyone got any other ideas?

ear plugs.

#12 r.w.girard

r.w.girard

Fish Crazy

• 311 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

DIY canister? The one I made failed miserably... water everywhere.  But it should be silent.  I know there are instructions on this forum in the DIY section. Or else hit google/youtube [not that there is a difference these days...].

#13 eaglesaquarium

eaglesaquarium

• Global Moderator
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

A small powerhead with a SPONGE over the intake could be another option, and much quieter.

#14 sumocopter

sumocopter

Fish Fanatic

• 89 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

That's a nice idea, thanks eagle :) ill give it a bash and have a look at a DIY canister too, sounds like fun!

#15 DrRob

DrRob

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Hagen pulled aquaclears off the uk market a while ago now.

I'd be suggesting the powerhead/sponge option too, or a DIY external. Options where you get to pick your own pump are useful for controlling the flow, so long as don't go too crazy with big media boxes and small pumps.

#16 sumocopter

sumocopter

Fish Fanatic

• 89 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

I'm tempted by the ease of sponge and powerhead. Are there any particular powerheads that you recommend for low flow in a small tank?

#17 eaglesaquarium

eaglesaquarium

• Global Moderator
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

http://www.drsfoster...60&pcatid=23760

I use this one.  It also converts over to a circulation pump, if you need more power ever... You'd probably want the 400.

#18 lee420

lee420

Fish Fanatic

• 131 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

i recently got a TOM microfilter with a spraybar for my 5gal breeder off of amazon for like 14$. its quiet as poop, spraybar works good and plenty of power for 5 gal. its small internal with sponge and a little carbon.

#19 sumocopter

sumocopter

Fish Fanatic

• 89 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

I think I'll stick with the powerhead and sponge idea simply for size reasons, just got to research powerheads now to find a small one that is available in the uk! Thanks for your help guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users