• 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

1 X male betta
6 X celestial pearl danios and/or 6 X scarlet badis
3 red cherry shrimp
3 cardinal shrimp
1 X ancistrus

In a biorb life 45 litre

Edited by varadero, 03 September 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#2 Man of fish

Man of fish

I'm Interested in.... ----|> that

• Pip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yes and no. No because the betta may reject any tank mates and I wouldn't put 6 scarlet badis in a biorb :ouch: also I'm pretty sure ancistrus catfish get huge! They will NOT fit in here. Also I thought cardinal shrimp were saltwater, but maybe not. I'd be looking at something like this:

1 male Betta
6 celestial pearl danios
10 cherry shrimp
Cardinal shrimp if these are freshwater.....
2-3 nerite snails

#3 Noahs ark6

Noahs ark6

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi.

Unfortunately, the male betta will likely attack and eat the shrimp. The danios, whilst being rekatively small, are very active and require and long tank. With 6 scarlett baddis aswelll as the rest of the stock, the tank will be overstocked. Possible stocking possibilities could be--
1- 1x male betta, 6x neon/ cardinal tetra etc

2. 6x neon/ cardinal tetra etc

3- Shrimp, 6x neon/ cardinal tetra etc

4-6x scarlett badis

Unfortunately, the shape and size of your tank really limits what you can keep :good:

I wouldn't keep a bristlenose in a small, spherical tank :no:

Edited by Noahs ark6, 03 September 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#4 Man of fish

Man of fish

• Pip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

I wouldn't want to be keeping 6 scarlet badis in one though either :shout: also depends on the bettas temperament, he may like shrimp!

#5 Noahs ark6

Noahs ark6

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

I wouldn't want to be keeping 6 scarlet badis in one though either

Well, i'm afraid i have to disagree. They max out at 3 cm :good:

Edited by Noahs ark6, 03 September 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#6 Man of fish

Man of fish

• Pip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yes, but that doesn't mean they'll be happy in there just because they're small enough to fit :good:

#7 Noahs ark6

Noahs ark6

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

I'm not going to start a tit for tat debate here. OP, 6 scarlett badis will be fine if on there own :good:

#8 Man of fish

Man of fish

• Pip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

I wouldn't call this any sort of debate, I'm just stating I don't think 6 scarlet badis would be happy in a small biorb tank ;)

#9 Noahs ark6

Noahs ark6

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

As of now, I won't be replying to this topic to avoid disagreement

#10 varadero

varadero

• 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

No offence meant but I'm not a fan of tetras, any other suitable fish with a male betta?

It's not the sphere biorb like you've suggested, it's a 12 gallon and from what I've read bristlenose plecos are suitable in 10 gallons as long as you don't have more than one. This is my tank

Posted Image

It's a shame because I was really keen on getting a few celestial pearl danios, are you 100% sure they can't be kept in a tank like this? :(

#11 Man of fish

Man of fish

• Pip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Oh now that I see what the tank looks like..... I'd do

1 male Betta
5 endlers
10 cherry shrimp
5 nerite snails

No don't do the bristlenose as this is a tall tank, not a long tank.

#12 Flute

Flute

Fish Herder

• Global Moderator
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

Bristlenose are fantastic at pooing, so I would say no to one in a tank that small. I personally would say no to a group of badis too, more on the grounds of they prefer live foods, and knowing how piggish betta can be, I can see one out competing any badis. Badis can also be quite territorial from what I've read, which is why they do better in a longer tank- there's more room for different territories and more room to add plants and bogwood, etc. to break the line of sight. Just because a fish is small doesn't mean it will do well in a small tank ;)

If you're worried about the betta eating any cherry shrimp, why not go for a smaller group of ammano shrimp? They're fantastic little creatures and are really fascinating to watch!

Edited by Flute, 03 September 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#13 varadero

varadero

• 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

Man of fish :good:

Bristlenose are fantastic at pooing, so I would say no to one in a tank that small. I personally would say no to a group of badis too, more on the grounds of they prefer live foods, and knowing how piggish betta can be, I can see one out competing any badis. Badis can also be quite territorial from what I've read, which is why they do better in a longer tank- there's more room for different territories and more room to add plants and bogwood, etc. to break the line of sight. Just because a fish is small doesn't mean it will do well in a small tank ;)

If you're worried about the betta eating any cherry shrimp, why not go for a smaller group of ammano shrimp? They're fantastic little creatures and are really fascinating to watch!

Yes, I have also been considering armano shrimp as they're a bigger but I liked the colourful ones better. They are very cool though.

Another thing I've been considering is a couple of dwarf orange crayfish, would they work in this tank?

Edited by varadero, 03 September 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#14 Man of fish

Man of fish

• Pip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Only one, and nothing could go with it, but personally I can't see it working in here as this is a tall tank, as I expressed and a not a regular long 10 gallon tank. Also have you cycled the tank using a proper fishless cycle?

#15 varadero

varadero

• 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

Only one, and nothing could go with it, but personally I can't see it working in here as this is a tall tank, as I expressed and a not a regular long 10 gallon tank. Also have you cycled the tank using a proper fishless cycle?

Yes, I plan on a fishless cycle.

#16 varadero

varadero

• 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

since the bristlenose pleco is out of the question would a group of 4-6 pygmy corries work with betta and shrimp?

#17 Man of fish

Man of fish

• Pip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

Not in that tank. It has the floorspace of about a 3 gallon since it's so tall.

#18 Mammabe1

Mammabe1

• 36 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

I think the moral here is not so many bottom dwellng fish in a tall tank with a smaller area at the bottom... the shrimp are cool though and my betta and ghost shrimp live together with 1 mollie. Haha. I also have another betta in a community tank with giant danios, cories, weather loaches and a few mollies and dwarf frogs and they all get along good. Just try to avoid too many bottom dwelling fish and stick with fish that swim in the middle and/or top to utilize that tank.. I hope you show a picture on this thread once you do stock it. Good Luck! :D

B

#19 varadero

varadero

• 23 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

Yep, will be posting pics when it's up. Here it is looking rather empty at the minute. I have a small piece of bogwood soaking and just washed some rock to put in as well. I'll also be putting in a couple of real plants and hoping they survive with this substrate/LED light.

Attached Files

Edited by varadero, 09 September 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#20 Cazgar

Cazgar

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

No one has addressed the temperature issues of your original stocking list.
Bettas like it warm, between 75 &80 degrees, whereas celestial pearl danios prefer cooler water around 70-74, so they are not suitable tank mates.
Cpd's are also shy fish, & keeping them with larger fish tends to make them hide as they feel threatened.
The Badis are very territorial, so in a tank that size the most you could possibly do would be one male & 2 females, but no Betta, as being from the same family problems could arise

Edited by Cazgar, 09 September 2012 - 09:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users