Photo

Has Anyone Else Had Different Species Of Fish Trying To Breed?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lorinp1

lorinp1

• 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Over a year ago I bought two of the same type of fish from an aquarium near me. I had never heard of the breed before but was told they would fit in with the other fish in my tank. The receipt listed them as R aureum, so when I got home I googled them but found hardly no information. The other day I did some more digging and finally figured out that what I have are thorichthys maculipinnis, or yellow meeki as they're also referred to. One of them has grown large and aggressive, while the other has stayed much smaller. So I was surprised when the larger of the two paired up with my small convict cichlid a number of months ago. They have claimed the right corner of my 55g tank and seem to be exhibiting breeding behaviors. They are also fiercely protective of that area. I haven't heard of two different types of fish trying to breed before. Has anyone else experienced this in their tanks? It's interesting to me because these two are probably the most aggressive fish in my tank and did not initially get along. I see the convict moving rocks and making a depression in the substrate, almost like it's making a place to lay eggs, and the meeki is always chasing other fish away. Thanks for any input.

#2 fluttermoth

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)

• Global Moderator
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

Thorichthys maculipinnis will hybridise quite readily with convicts, it's very common. I would split the fish up if you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users