Cleaning Water Oxidation Off Aquarium Glass

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Black Forest Knight

Black Forest Knight

• 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hi,

Can anyone recommend the best method for cleaning those water oxidation marks off aquarium glass? I'm cleaning up an old tank that was partially filled for years so the top half has a lot of this gunk on it that I can't seen to fully remove. Help!

#2 Curiosity101

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

If it's limescale (or similar) then some sort of acid might work? Lemon juice or vinegar could be a good try. Problem is that it needs to be in direct contact with the limescale for awhile before it'll break down the mineral deposits enough for them to be wiped off.

You could also try scraping it off with a metal razor blade. But you might leave some behind if you do that.

#3 Tonyb111111

Tonyb111111

Fishaholic

• Tank Of The Month Winner
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

On the assumption that you will be giving the tank a really good rinse when you have finished the clean, I would recommend Viakal from your local supermarket. It is a weak hydrochloric acid and will remove most limescale deposits.

Edited by Tonyb111111, 27 May 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#4 JDs4me

JDs4me

Fishaholic

• 412 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

On the assumption that you will be giving the tank a really good rinse when you have finished the clean, I would recommend Viakal from your local supermarket. It is a weak hydrochloric acid and will remove most limescale deposits.

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users