Photo

Dwarf Cichlid

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 envious

envious

• 55 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

hi, i have a 150l community aquariam and have been thinking about adding maybe a pair of small cichlids. i currently have 4 opaline gouramis, 6 swordtails, 3 guppies and a flying fox. my tank water has a ph of 7.2 and hardness of 80ppm. i have a few plant in my tank mainly amizon swords and java ferns, i also have a sand subtrate.
i would appreciate any suggestions. thank you

Edited by envious, 20 March 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#2 Flubberlump

Flubberlump

Fishaholic

• 427 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Bolivian rams or apistogrammas? What temperature is your tank?

#3 soybean

soybean

Everybody Loved Raymond...

• Pip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

My bolivian rams did not get along with a gourami in the tank (well actually the gourami wouldn't tolerate them at all), but there were no problems between the gourami and a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides.

#4 Flubberlump

Flubberlump

Fishaholic

• 427 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

I've not kept them together so haven't had the experience. I assumed they'd be ok seeing as they occupy different levels of the tank, but Soybean has experience. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

I'm actually considering apistogramma cacatuoides myself at the moment for my new tank, and they seem like a great choice for a community. You have a sand substrate and plants, which is good, but do you have any caves? Some dwarf cichlids (including the apistos) are cave spawners and require caves to form a territory around. Others are open spawners, but still need hiding places and shelter.

Have a look here too, there are some great species profiles that should help.

http://www.fishforum...south-american/

#5 envious

envious

• 55 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

thanks for yor suggestions i like the look of apistogramma cacatuoides so will research them.

my tanks around 25c. i dont have any caves but do understand cichlids need them. im planing on having a bit of a move round before i add any more fish so would add some caves then, what is the best thing to create caves out of, i would like something natural looking.

#6 soybean

soybean

Everybody Loved Raymond...

• Pip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

Pile up some rocks or bits of slate, or you can buy ornaments that look like rock with a hole in. Terracotta plant pots half buried on their side are ideal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users