Post Count

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Keeper Of Cichlids

Keeper Of Cichlids

Fish Crazy

• 353 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

I was just wondering about our post count, we all have it but do any of us pay attention to it or others?
I mean like do you tend to take advice from people who have a high post count of like '3000' than someone who would have a post count of 3?

Just wondering..

#2 Cazgar

Cazgar

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

If they give good advice it doesn't matter if they have a post count of 10 or 10,000

#3 fluttermoth

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)

• Global Moderator
  • 13,334 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

I don't; some people can make an awful lot of posts talking utter rubbish.

I can normally tell who seems to know what they're talking about, even if they don't have a high post count or are new members.

#4 nurglespuss

nurglespuss

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Yes, quality over quantity.

#5 soybean

soybean

Everybody Loved Raymond...

• Pip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

I tend to look at how long they've been a member. It's just a general guide but I would probably take a bit more notice of someone who has 2000 posts spread over two years rather than two months.

#6 simonas

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

yes some people seem to accrue thousands in very little time and they just seem to post on any subjext it makes sense that they cant be an expert on everything and are posting for postings sake

#7 Man of fish

Man of fish

I'm Interested in.... ----|> that

• Pip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

My post count is about 1,650 since the end of November so who knows if people find my info helpful but I try my best :good:

Edited by Man of fish, 14 February 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#8 Fishy friend2

Fishy friend2

I Love Betta Fish!!!! They Are My Favorite Fish

• Pip
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

I really only tend to look at the quality of the post and how long they have been a member to be honest post count doesn't matter to me

#9 Rummynose

Rummynose

Fishaholic

• 577 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

If I read a comment that strikes me as odd I've been guilty to look at the date this person joined and their post count.

I haven't been on this forum very long myself, and started my first tank exactly one year ago, but I've been learning about this hobby every day since (which my husband can vouch for lol) and hope that what I've learned is the right stuff to pass along!

#10 onidrase

onidrase

Let's Be Friends

• Pip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

I used to, but after being on here a while, I kind of know the basics, and what is good advice and bad advice, and who tends to know what they're talking about and who doesn't. I've got those people who I know I should listen to, and those people who I know I shouldn't.

Not saying any names :shifty:

#11 Fishy friend2

Fishy friend2

I Love Betta Fish!!!! They Are My Favorite Fish

• Pip
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:55 AM

There are some people I listen to for different topics, like I trust lilfishie, fuzzynickie, and sausage winkle, for bettas or Ludwig, and fluttermoth for ponds and such :good:

Edited by Fishy friend2, 15 February 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#12 moochy13

moochy13

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:44 AM

there are a couple of users on here in particular that i always notice manage to have something to say on nearly every topic, but either spout total drivel or just blatantly repeat what somebody else has said - and it really looks like its all just to raise the post count. one of said users has got more posts than me, but been here less than half as long - now i come on here everyday, and post maybe 3 or 4 times a day, so to achieve this persons post count they have to either be extra knowledgable about almost every aspect of fishkeeping, or posting whatever they like however useless it is to rack up some post count.

unfortunately, its not the former............

#13 soybean

soybean

• Pip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

I don't think the title 'leader of the fishes' helps sometimes...

#14 the_lock_man

the_lock_man

I snore, therefore I am

• Global Moderator
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Nearly 2000 posts worth of drivel from me, that's for sure.

I think for a new member, seeing someone with a high postcount gives them a credibility which may or may not be deserved - I certainly respected those with a high postcount more when I was new to the forum. Once you have a bit more experience yourself, you can tell who is talking tosh and who isn't.

#15 ZoddyZod

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning

• Retired Moderator
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

A fair discussion topic, but please refrain from naming any members that you DON'T trust :)

#16 Primous

Primous

Fishaholic

• 614 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

I think thats the problem with many fish forums. People assume that a high post count equates to in depth knowledge and in some cases (members of this forum not included obviously ) people who have a high post count think that their words should carry more weight.

For instance, While doing some fish related research last night I came across a popular forum and happened upon a discussion that started out as one thing but ended up in a debate about ammonia at 0.25ppm being acceptable to fish. The person advocating that 0.25ppm was ok for fish had inadvertently admitted that their fish die often but insisted that the ammonia was not the cause. The post count of this member was in the thousands!

#17 micko

micko

drive it like you stole it.

• Pip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

To be honest I think the post count should be removed. It serves no purpose and can give newcommers the wrong idea.

#18 soybean

soybean

• Pip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

I agree micko, I think the join date, the 'dots' accumulated and the random titles given are more than enough already.

That's said, it's sometimes useful to know if someone is only on their first few posts, and hopefully it prevents people going "YOUR FISH ARE DEAD COS YOU DIDN'T CYCLE YOUR TANK SO RETURN YOUR FISH AND BUY SOME AMMONIA AND AN API TEST KIT!!!" at them, scaring them off before they really even get going!

#19 moochy13

moochy13

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Haha i despise the insta-replies that appear on the forum, like the test kit one. Its like people have a single keyboard button that with one press can type what you said. The "i want a plec" question always draws the " buy a bn plec" insta-response, and it stops so many newcomers exploring the endless plec possibilities. Irritates me.

#20 MBOU

MBOU

Recovering LFS Worker

• Global Moderator
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

I dont know, I've only been paying attention to my own post count because now i can change my member title :good:

I see people with 7-8000 odd posts and wonder if they have a life off the forums and if they are really that chatty face to face, i picture them all as crazy chatty people :lol: because I really dont... and yet my post count isnt that high.

I dont reply to every single post though, i think more about what i say, if my opinion is the same as someone elses than i wont bother adding my reply... or if someone is looking for an ID on a species and loads of people reply after its been established what species it is with "+1" which i just think is completely pointless and it really irks me lol.

If i dont have something usefull to say, i dont bother saying it. Sometimes i go away and think about it and by the time i do, the post i was going to reply to has dissapeared into the ether.

In terms of other people... its more what they say but i am more likely to read a post asknig a question from a regular member than someone saying "i have a new tank and..." kind of posts.

Im awful i know but i deal with it all day at work and crave more interesting topics :P

That's said, it's sometimes useful to know if someone is only on their first few posts, and hopefully it prevents people going "YOUR FISH ARE DEAD COS YOU DIDN'T CYCLE YOUR TANK SO RETURN YOUR FISH AND BUY SOME AMMONIA AND AN API TEST KIT!!!" at them, scaring them off before they really even get going!

And that is why i dont reply to posts that have annoyed me because its purely people not listening or not doing research etc.. im not the right person to advise constantly on the same thing. I see the results of customers not listening day in and day out and then people post the same stuff on here and whilst its great they get better information... i wonder how many members would still be as calm and patient with people when they come in week after week after week complaining because their fish have died *yet again* despite you going over everything and wasting hours of your life trying to explain everything like cycling in 10 ways until they understand, write it down, draw pictures, write out day by day instructions... and ten they come in again saying their fish have died and can they get some more?

Bahhhhh

Edited by MBOU, 15 February 2012 - 09:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users