• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

Hi Everyone! :lol:

This is now my journal about my lone fancy guppy fry that I found when me and my mom were cleaning the tank. I was so surprised he survived since we use a gravel pump to clean the tank! Now he is in a 3-4 gallon fishbowl with a plastic plant, for about 2 more weeks then we will move him into a divided-off section of the main tank so he can get used to the other fish and so he will have filtered water to live in also. Here are some pictures of his parents.

His 2 possible fathers:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And his 2 possible mothers:

Posted Image

Posted Image
(sorry for the size of this one! :look: )

And the main tank that he is going to live in:

Posted Image

I don't know what gender he/she is yet, its very young. =P

Oh and here is a picture of him:

Posted Image

Feel free to post comments and help and I will try to take pictures when he/she has grown bigger! :good:

#2 noor

noor

Fish Fanatic

• 95 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:23 PM

Hi FH,

Congrats for being able to spot your one and only guppy fry.

I believe you are going to take care of him or her (him) well after reading your explanation.

IMHO, by the time you want put him at his own surrounding, he will be big enough not to be eaten by other fish in the main tank. His safety is not at stake.

#3 GreenA

GreenA

Fish Fanatic

• 122 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

Aaaw, how tiny. And well spotted! Hope he/she will grow into a beautiful guppy!

#4 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

Thanks guys! I will try to get another pic of him soon in his new environment - we finally put him in the divider in the tank! Unfortunately, the divider is very cloudy from hard water deposit from when we used it last. And, he only has a small portion of the tank, about one 6th. :blink: I had hoped my mom would've given him at *least* one 5th. Oh well. :sad:

He is getting a tiny tiny black dot in his tail but only I can see a tiny shade of orange. :fun: Arg! Why do I keep calling he/she a he. :crazy:

#5 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:36 AM

Back again! He/she is getting a little bit bigger and I am happy! If you concentrate on its tail you will see 2 black lines one on the top of its tail and one on the bottom, and a tad bit of light orange in the middle. :hyper: Although, one of his supposed fathers (the blue) has split tail and maybe fin rot. :unsure: I put in some Aquarium Salt so I hope that will help him. The other father's tail is getting bigger, yet its color of the regrowth is not as striking at all as it was. :sad:

Well, I will hopefully be able to get a picture of him at the next cleaning we do; have a good day! :good:

Edit: So, I managed to get some pictures of him/her today, I will try to get more when we clean the tank again. (which should be soon)

Posted Image
Here is a update of the tank with the divider in it, I hope I can convince my mom to give him/her a little more space or maybe let him out at the next cleaning. He/she is about 1 cm long now.

Posted Image
Here is his/her poor tankmate with his split tail.

Posted Image
Here is the most recent picture of him/her. (you can sorta see his markings)

Posted Image
And, here is a picture I took of him/her like 2 weeks ago but failed to upload.

So I'm thinking that his/her dad is the orange/red one, so I'm happy!

Edited by Flame Heart, 14 September 2011 - 02:29 AM.

#6 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:37 AM

Our little lone fry is getting bigger and thriving. His/her colors are really coming in, and he/she is now at least 1.5cm now! :hyper: We are releasing him/her into the big tank next week! :P Here is a recent picture after a water change.

Posted Image

#7 noor

noor

Fish Fanatic

• 95 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

FH, that little fry of yours is so cute!

O.K., since you have an empty tank, I would like to suggest you keep him in it and let it be his grow up tank temporarily. Feed him frequently but at a quantity just enough to fill his tummy. 6 to 8 little feedings per day should be suffice. If you don't opportunity to feed him yourselg, try to get your mum to help you out. WC about 50% every 2 days and in no time, your one and only fry will grow much faster than it is now.

Please see my guppies when they were 2 months old as per linked:-

Fry @ 2 mths

Edited by noor, 21 September 2011 - 08:46 AM.

#8 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:55 AM

Okay, but we don't have a extra filter...so that would be a problem. If we do get one would you suggest the bowl or the 1-2 gal tank?

#9 noor

noor

Fish Fanatic

• 95 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:58 PM

FH, most of my filters are DIY. It is easy as you can see at this link:-

DIY Filter

I would like to suggest a 1-2 gal tank, it is much more easy to maintain and it can be doubled up as a hospital tank when not in use.

#10 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:01 AM

That looks easy, but it would take up most of my 1-2gal tank. And I don't think I have piping or air stones. I could take a picture of the 1-2gal that I have right now, my aquatic frog is doing fine in it without a filter. :P

#11 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

Big update! We have released the guppy (now named Skittles) into the big tank and me and my mom watched him/her for about 5-10 mins then she had to go. The sad thing is, I can't find Skittles anywhere now! I'm really scared that he/she was eaten up. :-( What are the chances do you think that Skittles is still alive? I'll be watching for her/him all the time for like the next half an hour. :-(

Edit: Scratch that, I just saw Skittles. So releived and happy! :hyper: :yahoo:

Edited by Flame Heart, 26 September 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#12 noor

noor

Fish Fanatic

• 95 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:54 AM

FH, so how is Skittles now?

#13 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:01 AM

Skittles is doing fine, swimming and eating amongst the adults like one of them. He either may be trying to protect or eat a new addition of newborn guppy fry. I just saw it a few minutes ago and I am so happy! The mother is probably Lemondrop, she has been squared off for quite a while now. If this little fry survives I am very interested as to what colors it will have! :hyper: So far I have only seen one newborn. I'll try to get a picture of Skittles soon!

#14 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

Skittles is doing great, the other little guy is growing up and getting some color on her (I think) tail. The sad thing is 2 of my guppies died recently, within about a week of each-other. :-( They both died in the same plant, and the female was really thin, so I hope it wasn't some disease. :no:

#15 noor

noor

Fish Fanatic

• 95 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

Can it be possible the guppies were trying to avoid your zebra danio that always dashed around the tank quickly and got themselves stucked at the plants?

#16 TropicalLad21

TropicalLad21

Fish Crazy

• 247 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Love the development of your baby guppy posted... my 2 fry are at the very early-stages so really looking forward to these growing....

Well done with Skittles.

#17 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hi again guys! I know its been a while, sorry about that. :P

Skittles is doing great, looking more and more like the female guppy who sadly died with the blue male guppy about a week ago. So happy that she is looking more like her supposed mother, she had clear blue in her tail that was so pretty. Skittles is very big now, almost as big as the adults! She is definitely a girl, she has a gravid spot and color only on her fins.

The other smaller, unnamed guppy fry is growing up nicely, avoiding the chases of the adults and eating food picked up off the gravel. She is also probably a female, can't wait till she grows up and her colors are more definite. Right now she has some color on her tail, mostly light orange with some black spots here and there.

Side note, we have a new golden lyre-tail (presumably) female molly, and a red and black-finned baby platy. Lemondrop is still fat, as if she will never give us any more fry. I do really want some fry from her, as I would love to have a male home-bred guppy now and then. The middle of her tail is getting more black dots on it, (maybe it will turn yellow also!) before it was just clear.

#18 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

Okay, have some good and some bad news, mostly bad/sad. =(

Lemondrop and the Yellow Lyretail Molly have died, leaving us with the fish in my updated signature. Skittles is all grown up and is almost as big as the adults, and the other fry is growing up nicely and has a bit of bright orange on her tail. I might get pictures soon, but not definite.

#19 DanTheFishMan11

DanTheFishMan11

Fish Crazy

• 272 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

nice :good:

#20 Flame Heart

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

Wow, I'm surprised my thread is still even on here! =O Well, I'm back and I'm wondering really what I should do with my remaining fish & tank, I would love to do like 2 female and 1 male *new* guppies, 4 or 5 pygmy corys, and a male marbled (or maybe any-other that catches my eye) betta. Buttt my mom still doesn't really like the fish and would be extremely happy if they died out quickly. Just a quick question, how long can you let a tank sit with no fish in it, filter still running (with of course fish food for some substance to keep the bacteria from running out). Oh, and of course sand on the bottom for the corys.

I will be updating my signature with the remaining fish I have left. Maybe if I start babysitting and earning money my mom will let me do whatever with the tank as long as I pay for it, clean it, and feed the fish? I'm not sure.. Also if anyone could reference me to a site where I can learn how marbled bettas 'work'.

I just spotted a guppy fry! :blink: Maybe since we have been feeding them more they aren't eating all of them. :blush: Whatever the reason is, I hope it lives!

Edited by Flame Heart, 23 July 2012 - 05:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users