Pregnant Molly Sitting On The Bottom?!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 AnimalHouse36

AnimalHouse36

Fish Fanatic

• 164 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

Yesterday I purchased 1 pregnant molly, and a gourami to add to my 10 gallon tank with 2 other mollies.

Today, the pregnant molly is just resting on the bottom and only moving when forced (when the gravel vacuum got to close). I don't know what it could be. The Gourami and my other mollies are fine. please help!

#2 Fishy friend2

Fishy friend2

I Love Betta Fish!!!! They Are My Favorite Fish

• Pip
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

look at the mollies anal fin is there a white dot near it she could be close to dropping

#3 AnimalHouse36

AnimalHouse36

Fish Fanatic

• 164 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

There's a black dot in the middle of it? Is it normal behaivior for her to be sitting on the bottom?

#4 catfish4ever

catfish4ever

Fishaholic

• 467 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

no offence but one time mine was pregnant and then she was on the bottom like yours all day and she died! :sad:

#5 Blubble37

Blubble37

Ohai dere c:

• Pip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

the black dot is a gravid spot, it isnt the best sign but if it shows she is likely preggers as is your case. Se how she goes, most livebearers get very antisocial and hide when about to give birth so watch out!

#6 volleyg08

volleyg08

• 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

My guppy slowed down quite a bit right before she gave birth so maybe that is the case with your molly as well

#7 Blubble37

Blubble37

Ohai dere c:

• Pip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

+1, my uncles did the same.

dont see how this is an emergency?

#8 Aquamaniac

Aquamaniac

Fish Crazy

• 357 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

I do remember that happening alot when i was starting in the hobby.At the time i had no idea and got really scared.
That kind of behaviour in some cases is a sympthom to disease.But personal experience and since its a molly we are talking about i also think its down to pregnancy.
To add to that you just said you purchased that same molly yesterday,so to had to the stress of giving birth that fish is also adapting to a new tank water and environment.
But like i said some diseases have that behaviour so if any change in fish happens let us know.

Edited by Aquamaniac, 19 August 2011 - 05:59 PM.

#9 AnimalHouse36

AnimalHouse36

Fish Fanatic

• 164 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

I wasn't sure if she was sick or going into labor. I couldn't get a clear answer. I thought this qualified as an emergency. Sorry I'm new here.

Thank you all so much for your help! I hope shes going into labor and not sick! I've been checking the tank periodically to make sure there are no babies.
I have two filters in the tank and turned one of them off to limit the flow.

#10 Aquamaniac

Aquamaniac

Fish Crazy

• 357 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

I wasn't sure if she was sick or going into labor. I couldn't get a clear answer. I thought this qualified as an emergency. Sorry I'm new here.

Thank you all so much for your help! I hope shes going into labor and not sick! I've been checking the tank periodically to make sure there are no babies.
I have two filters in the tank and turned one of them off to limit the flow.

I wouldn't do that.The bacteria in that filter will most likely die and you will have to recycle it again.Ok you have 2 but is the other one enough to support your tank alone? a decrease in water quality now will not help your fish or the babies.

Edited by Aquamaniac, 19 August 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#11 AnimalHouse36

AnimalHouse36

Fish Fanatic

• 164 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

[/quote]

I wouldn't do that.The bacteria in that filter will most likely die and you will have to recycle it again.Ok you have 2 but is the other one enough to support your tank alone? a decrease in water quality now will not help your fish or the babies.
[/quote]

It's a 10 gallon tank with enough filtration for a 20 gallon tank. Both filters have established bacteria so I thought it would be okay to turn off one of them. Should I turn it back on? It's only been off for an hour or so!

#12 fluttermoth

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)

• Global Moderator
  • 13,130 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Yes I'd turn it back on; fry create a lot of waster for their size.

If your worried about the flow can you trun it so it faces the side or back of the tank? Or put a spare piece of filter floss or sponge loosely over the outlet?

#13 Dieses Madchen

Dieses Madchen

DM

• Moved On
  • Pip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

I have a female platy, and she always sits in the back of the tank under my plants for about a week before having babies. I really wouldn't be surprised if that is why she is antisocial. When she spawns, take pics! :)

#14 Blubble37

Blubble37

Ohai dere c:

• Pip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Yes I'd turn it back on; fry create a lot of waster for their size.

If your worried about the flow can you trun it so it faces the side or back of the tank? Or put a spare piece of filter floss or sponge loosely over the outlet?

+1 you can also try stockings.

#15 AnimalHouse36

AnimalHouse36

Fish Fanatic

• 164 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

She's barely moving at all. She looks like she's dead. My other molly acted like this a couple days before she died. :sad:

#16 fluttermoth

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)

• Global Moderator
  • 13,130 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:56 PM

Aww, no :(

Is the tank cycled? Have you done any water tests?

Try doing a 50% water change, with warm, dechlorinated water and see if she improves.

#17 Dieses Madchen

Dieses Madchen

DM

• Moved On
  • Pip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:27 AM

I'm so sorry. I hope everything turns out alright :(

#18 AnimalHouse36

AnimalHouse36

Fish Fanatic

• 164 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:42 PM

Just an update, as of yesterday she died, still pregnant.
All the other fish are plenty active and fine. I don't understand what could have happened.
I suppose it was the stress from moving from a new tank while being pregnant. :/
Thank you all so much for your help though!

#19 Dieses Madchen

Dieses Madchen

DM

• Moved On
  • Pip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

Just an update, as of yesterday she died, still pregnant.
All the other fish are plenty active and fine. I don't understand what could have happened.
I suppose it was the stress from moving from a new tank while being pregnant. :/
Thank you all so much for your help though!

I'm sorry for your loss :(

#20 colleen0309

colleen0309

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:55 PM

To the op, this was an emergency. Bubbles37, I'm not saying you were wrong, but a comment like this could discourage someone from asking questions. We, as a group, don't want that to happen. Since the fish died, it was an emergency. Let's remember, the only stupid question is the question not asked.
OP, so sorry for your loss! :sad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users