Sexing Guppy Fry?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Meggie :)

Meggie :)

Fish Addict

• 718 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:29 AM

So I have guppy fry in my tank that are about 4 weeks old...they have not been kept in a breeder net at any point...I didn't even breed them in one...so they are growing quickly...I don't want these babies to start breeding under my nose before I can separate them...should I be able to sex them by now? How the heck do I tell? Their fins are just so darn small!!! :o

Thanks in advance!
Megan :)

#2 squeeky_jane

squeeky_jane

Fish Fanatic

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

It can be difficult if you have yellow bodied guppies (blonds) but if they are gray I can help you.

You should be able to see a dark almost black spot above the anal fin

Posted Image

The anal fin on males will look less triangular as they mature to look long and pointed!

If you are separating them and aren't quiet sure, I would place these ones with you males. Better having the odd female with a male rather than having one male with all your female :lol:

Hope this helps

Edit; it would help if I mentioned that the dark spot is on the females :blush:

Edited by squeeky_jane, 08 August 2011 - 03:17 PM.

#3 Meggie :)

Fish Addict

• 718 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:19 PM

haha thanks! yea i know the males have genopodiums and that females have the fanned out anal fin :) I just was wondering if I should be able to sex them by now? or maybe are the males genopodiums not fully formed? I don't think they are blondes...I'll put up a picture of their mother...tbh, i have no idea who their father is :blush: ...i bought her pregnant

There is another batch of babies now, too :o the blue one is THEIR mother...the yellow one is the mother of the first 12 :)

Attached Files

#4 squeeky_jane

squeeky_jane

Fish Fanatic

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

Looking at your guppies it should be easy to see the black spot on the females from about one week old. My photo above is of my yellow (blonde) I was talking about and I have to wait until her yellow male babies start to delveloping their genopodiums to sex them :crazy: Though in saying that I think I might be able sex the yellow babies as I think (still on going learning process here) that the yellow females have a larger yellow spot in the same place than from the males. Haven't actually tested my theory but plan to. In my picuture below their is a grey guppy to the left and 2 blonde babies to the right!

Posted Image

Hope I've been helpful
Good luck :good:

Edited by squeeky_jane, 08 August 2011 - 06:46 PM.

#5 Meggie :)

Fish Addict

• 718 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

one week?! uh oh...haha when can they start breeding?

And i looked and can't tell! :( they are all different...one's body is half black, from the middle of the body to the tail...some have black spots blocking where the spot would be, and others i can't see anything :(

Edited by Meggie :), 08 August 2011 - 06:40 PM.

#6 squeeky_jane

squeeky_jane

Fish Fanatic

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

The female mature around 3month (sometimes sooner in warmer tanks) I think the male mature around two months. I would look out for early signs of the genopodiums in the males (the ability to move the genopodiums forwards, is a good indicator) if your are having trouble. I will try and get a photo of one of my female fry and highlight the spot for you :rolleyes:

#7 Meggie :)

Fish Addict

• 718 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

Thanks! Here is a pic of my fry if this helps to show you what i mean...

Attached Files

Edited by Meggie :), 08 August 2011 - 07:09 PM.

#8 squeeky_jane

squeeky_jane

Fish Fanatic

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

LOL.....I found the problem they are not GUPPY fry but mollies :lol:

#9 squeeky_jane

squeeky_jane

Fish Fanatic

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

Molly fry tend to have colour from day one

Molly fry
Posted Image

Guppy fry do not and develop their colour as they grow

Guppy fry

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 squeeky_jane

squeeky_jane

Fish Fanatic

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

You just have to wait for the genopodiums to develop in your male mollies for sexing unfortunatly.

But if you look at my picture of the baby guppies you will notice they lack the Gavid spot that developes on the females at about a week of age.

Here a photo of a young female showing the gravid spot.

Posted Image

;)

#11 Meggie :)

Fish Addict

• 718 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

wait, so they came from my balloon molly? :o But I watched my guppy give birth! :o They ARE four weeks old though...is it possible they could be guppies? They were gray at the beginning i think...they got color about a week or so later...maybe a little less

Edited by Meggie :), 08 August 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#12 Meggie :)

Fish Addict

• 718 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

Here: I got some better pics...The first pic is a pic of the newborns...idk how old...they were born while i was on vacation...what are they?

and the last two pics are pics of the four week olds

Attached Files

#13 squeeky_jane

squeeky_jane

Fish Fanatic

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

I believe you have a mixture of balloon molly and guppy fry :hyper: . I would suspect your guppy fry are still grey and developing colour on their fins and tails. Your molly fry have the black spots/colour randomly over their body. If you can identify who's a molly and who's a guppy, it will become easier for you. I find personally that molly fry then to look a bit bigger/fatter headed than guppy fry. In time you will gain experience and find it easier to tell the difference. :good:

Here: I got some better pics...The first pic is a pic of the newborns...idk how old...they were born while i was on vacation...what are they?

The fist picture has grey babies that are GUPPIES and the orange ones is Mollies, the second picture appears to be mollies but I think I can spot one guppy near the most orange baby though it's a bit blurry, the last picture is all molly fry.

The fist picture has grey babies that are GUPPIES and the orange ones is Mollies, the second picture appears to be mollies but I think I can spot one guppy near the most orange baby though it's a bit blurry, the last picture is all molly fry.

#14 Meggie :)

Fish Addict

• 718 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

oh...my...goodness...well this makes it harder for me to find someone to give them to!!! I have no idea what kind of fish they are! When can i start to tell? All of the older ones have color and spots...does this mean that the older ones are ballooon mollies and the newborns are guppies? Or could the newborns be mollies as well? I have 2 female balloon mollies and one female guppies...the mollies were in a tank with males when i bought them and the guppy was in a tank with just females...so i don't know if she's ever been fertilized before...the one who i thought was the mother of the four week olds died a few weeks ago so she can't possibly be the mother of the new ones...so that leaves 1 guppy (who i don't even know if she's been fertilized) and 2 mollies... sheesh...:o

OOHHHH that explains why there is one gray fish that is bigger than the newborns but smaller than the colored ones!!! YAY I LOVE BALLOON MOLLY FRY!!! :D

Edited by Meggie :), 08 August 2011 - 08:19 PM.

#15 squeeky_jane

squeeky_jane

Fish Fanatic

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

I would believe the older ones are Mollies and the newborns are guppies. I have marked out who is who in you photos to give you a heads up. I'm pretty sure that your female guppy will have babies as they store the sperm of the father, if not mated within 24hrs of giving birth and can have around 4 sets of fry. It is very difficult to find a virgin female from the shop :rolleyes:

Anyway here your edited photos :nod:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 squeeky_jane

squeeky_jane

Fish Fanatic

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

I wouldn't worry about who's who when they are so young as when they get bigger you can tell them apart! :good:

Edited by squeeky_jane, 08 August 2011 - 08:42 PM.

#17 Meggie :)

Fish Addict

• 718 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

yeah! The one you circled in the first one is 4 weeks old and is completely gray! Wow that explains a lot...i was worried it was sick or something! If i got a clearer picture would you be able to tell if it is male or female? And also, how long until i can sex the mollies?

#18 squeeky_jane

squeeky_jane

Fish Fanatic

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

I could give it a go if it's not blurry :crazy: I have tried to get photos of my guppy fry but they don't stay still for a good photo :sad:

#19 Meggie :)

Fish Addict

• 718 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

Goodness gracious it won't sit still! :o haha :) I see a little spec of dark by her anal fin but idk if that's the gravid spot or not :/

#20 squeeky_jane

squeeky_jane

Fish Fanatic

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

I would say she is a female, but let me know if I'm wrong when she grows up :shifty:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users