29 replies to this topic

#1 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

Some Pics of my new fish! Just added today

Attached Files

Edited by SensesFail, 08 January 2011 - 10:55 AM.

#2 Skins

Skins

A new swimmer in the tank

• Pip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

Very impressed, :good:

#3 simonas

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

lovely!!

would love to see the whole tank :good:

#4 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

lovely!!

would love to see the whole tank :good:

I shall get a picture together. The whole tank including fish? I have a link in my sig to the tank without fish but will be worth trying to get one with the hustle and bustle of the tank with fish.

I took a video of them on the mobile so I'll have to try and get that up. Can't say iv ever uploaded to utube so will be a first! :-)

#5 c-dub

c-dub

Fishaholic

• 547 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:28 AM

Nice fish! What species are the fish in the 2nd and 3rd pics? I'd like some for my Malawi tank!!

#6 waterdrop

waterdrop

Enthusiastic "Re-Beginner"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,812 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:26 AM

Beautiful! WD

#7 Graphic5

Graphic5

Fish Fanatic

• 143 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

great really like last yellow ones :good: but great fish, also wanna see the whole tank shot.

#8 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

Nice fish! What species are the fish in the 2nd and 3rd pics? I'd like some for my Malawi tank!!

They are Labeotropheus trewavasae i went to my LFS wanting other fish but when i noticed them i was like they are so nice! only bought two for now a male and female will maybe get some more if he has any left in a week or 2. They were not badly priced at around 10 each.

great really like last yellow ones :good: but great fish, also wanna see the whole tank shot.

Will get this on later today :-D when its feeding time so hopefully get a shot with them all out and about :-)

#9 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

Beautiful! WD

Its amazing to have fish now, remember when i first came on the site WD all new to the hobby and with the help of you guys i have fish now :-) took a while but in a way i wouldnt turn the clocks back learnt alot from you guys and have enjoyed the experience with time came knowledge and lots of questions for you guys. Onto stage 2 now! Fish - maintenance - and various other things :-)

Edited by SensesFail, 08 January 2011 - 10:51 AM.

#10 Graphic5

Graphic5

Fish Fanatic

• 143 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

Just seen the video. Really active tank, great set up too, plants give it some colour too :good:

#11 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

More Pics

Attached Files

Edited by SensesFail, 08 January 2011 - 09:23 PM.

#12 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

SYNO

Attached Files

• Attached File  SYNO.jpg   87.99KB   3 downloads

#13 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

Pair

Attached Files

• Attached File  pair.jpg   94.63KB   0 downloads

#14 ghent_3rd

ghent_3rd

Fish Addict

• 836 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:13 PM

Never really been into cichlids that much but tanks like this make me wanna keep them!!

Have to say that I do like the little multis, think they are awesome. Will probably have a Tanganyikan in the future, although suppose I could get some Malawis aswell!!! My g/f is gunna kill me, severe case of MTS kicking in!!!

#15 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

Never really been into cichlids that much but tanks like this make me wanna keep them!!

Have to say that I do like the little multis, think they are awesome. Will probably have a Tanganyikan in the future, although suppose I could get some Malawis aswell!!! My g/f is gunna kill me, severe case of MTS kicking in!!!

I originally wanted discus but for my size tank I was pushing it getting 4 and with you needing 6 ideally I was like hmm. Then I picked up some filter media a while back and when I took one look at his tank I was like that is so nice! The hustle and bustle so I reconsidered and got a busy tank instead. I'll build up some experience, and when I move and can have a huge tank I'll get some then :-)

I think the most I can fit in my flat now is a fluval edge and the gf will kill me if I had one of those haha

#16 ghent_3rd

ghent_3rd

Fish Addict

• 836 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:51 PM

I am quite lucky that by June I will have either 6 or 7 tanks on the go!! :hyper: Ranging from a small fighter set-up to a Vision 260. All keepijng tropicals and the three bigger ones,(2 footer, 3 footer and the Vision) all will be South American styles, concentrating on specific river habitats. I can't wait!! The malawis will have to wait until I get a fish room in the garage at the next house I will buy in 2015!

#17 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

New Cuckoo Catfish

Petricola

Attached Files

#18 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

Pic 1: Cuckoo Squeaker/Syno (Synodontis multipunctatus)

Pic 2: Even-Spotted Squeaker/Syno (Synodontis petricola)

#19 elisew

elisew

I don`t count sheep to get to sleep, I count fish

• Pip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

SYNO
Posted Image

Gorgeous!! :wub: :wub:

Can I just ask.....the black synodontis....is that the multipunctatus?
I`m currently waiting for petricola and multipunctatus to come into my local MA and am looking at adding 2 or 3 syno`s to my Tang setup. Not 100% sure whether the petricola or multi, I love the black ones (Cuckoo?) but feel the petricola would be less harsh on the breeding pair of cudopunctatus and fry :/

Edited by elisew, 21 January 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#20 ZoddyZod

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning

• Retired Moderator
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

nice set-up and and nice fish.

wish I had the space for a malawi tank like that.

Edited by ZoddyZod, 21 January 2011 - 03:11 PM.

#21 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

SYNO
Posted Image

Gorgeous!! :wub: :wub:

Can I just ask.....the black synodontis....is that the multipunctatus?
I`m currently waiting for petricola and multipunctatus to come into my local MA and am looking at adding 2 or 3 syno`s to my Tang setup. Not 100% sure whether the petricola or multi, I love the black ones (Cuckoo?) but feel the petricola would be less harsh on the breeding pair of cudopunctatus and fry :/

Hey the black one in the pic above is supposed to be a synodontis petricola but it could also be the Lucipinnis. The multipunctatus is the cuckoo catfish I believe which is also above having bigger markings. I have included a link below to a post I had on another forum where someone gave me two pictures one showing the true petricola and the other showing the Lucipinnis which is classed as the "dwarf petricola" which looks completely different markings wise and doesn't grow as big. I had the opportunity to buy a wild caught petricola but they would have out grew the tank and they were 30 per fish. So I went with the LFS option which were 10 each but were very small and being tank bred won't grow as big! I like both the petriola and "dwarf petricola" but the cuckoos are lush to having the bigger markings but I believe they grow bigger at around 17cm max whereas the petricolas will be around 10-12 so iv been told.

I hope you can view the site without signing up because the two pictures show both catfish nicely! Some of the predispose I have look like the petricola whereas I have 1 which looks like the dwarf :-s at first I thought a petricola was a petricola until someone brought it to my attention on this site. When's your LFS getting them in? They are brilliant characters always out and about swimming with each other hunting for food. They seem more settled in a group of 6 whereas before when I had 3 petricolas I didn't see them as much as I do now with the cuckoos in their 2 :-) let me know if the link works :-)

Check this out

#22 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

nice set-up and and nice fish.

wish I had the space for a malawi tank like that.

Cheers :-) first ever tank so I'm pleased with it but I love looking at other peoples trying to get ideas for when I can eventually have a bigger tank :-) sandly not for some time yet but I may try and invest in a small one for the kitchen. And the big one will have to wait until I move which won't be for sometime :-(

When I see other peoples I'm like hmm tempted to change but this is the second design I currently have and its not cheap to change all of the time. Live plants will be my next thing to learn :-)

#23 elisew

elisew

• Pip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hey the black one in the pic above is supposed to be a synodontis petricola but it could also be the Lucipinnis. The multipunctatus is the cuckoo catfish I believe which is also above having bigger markings. I have included a link below to a post I had on another forum where someone gave me two pictures one showing the true petricola and the other showing the Lucipinnis which is classed as the "dwarf petricola" which looks completely different markings wise and doesn't grow as big. I had the opportunity to buy a wild caught petricola but they would have out grew the tank and they were 30 per fish. So I went with the LFS option which were 10 each but were very small and being tank bred won't grow as big! I like both the petriola and "dwarf petricola" but the cuckoos are lush to having the bigger markings but I believe they grow bigger at around 17cm max whereas the petricolas will be around 10-12 so iv been told.

I hope you can view the site without signing up because the two pictures show both catfish nicely! Some of the predispose I have look like the petricola whereas I have 1 which looks like the dwarf :-s at first I thought a petricola was a petricola until someone brought it to my attention on this site. When's your LFS getting them in? They are brilliant characters always out and about swimming with each other hunting for food. They seem more settled in a group of 6 whereas before when I had 3 petricolas I didn't see them as much as I do now with the cuckoos in their 2 :-) let me know if the link works :-)

Check this out

Thanks for that, great info! I was trying to find the info that shows the difference between the petricola and lucipinnis as I was more intent on getting the lucipinnis due to the dwarf size :good: :good:

Didn`t have to register as I`m already a member on Mikes Rifts anyway ;) :lol:

James (24T) gave me the same info in relation to the lucipinnis being standard in lfs but they can be mis-labelled as petricola, MA have told me that they`re getting petricola but at least now I`ll be able to check.....15-20 won`t seem a bad price IF they turn out to be petricola instead :hey:

I spoke to one of the girls at MA today and have asked them to reserve any of the black ones that come in, their delivery should hopefully be there in the next week or so ......fingers crossed :unsure:

As I already have 5 species in my Tang tank I think the syno`s will have to be the last additions :X

#24 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

Check this out

Thanks for that, great info! I was trying to find the info that shows the difference between the petricola and lucipinnis as I was more intent on getting the lucipinnis due to the dwarf size :good: :good:

Didn`t have to register as I`m already a member on Mikes Rifts anyway ;) :lol:

James (24T) gave me the same info in relation to the lucipinnis being standard in lfs but they can be mis-labelled as petricola, MA have told me that they`re getting petricola but at least now I`ll be able to check.....15-20 won`t seem a bad price IF they turn out to be petricola instead :hey:

I spoke to one of the girls at MA today and have asked them to reserve any of the black ones that come in, their delivery should hopefully be there in the next week or so ......fingers crossed :unsure:

As I already have 5 species in my Tang tank I think the syno`s will have to be the last additions :X

The picture with 2 in its the camera that has made the 2nd catfish black with him/her being in the shadows. They are sort of a greyish colour with the black dots. I wouldn't rule out the cukoos they look fantastic with the bigger spots. Its exciting times getting new fish its a shame when it has to end i have room for 2 more i reckon and thats me done :-( but i am looking forward to watching the fish grow in particular the cats really excited for that! Cant wait :-)

Im really glad the LFS pointed out the cukoos when i went to get another 3 petricolas and then i decided to go with 3 of those for abit of variety. Mike over on rift valley cichlids is selling both versions of the petricola both wild caught for the petricola and tank bread for the dwarf.

Will you go for the dwarf or the petricolas or you going with what the LFS gets. If its the true petricola 10-20 is briiliant if its the dwarf i think you should be looking in the region of around 10 each :-) I think my cuckoos cost me 8 each.

#25 elisew

elisew

• Pip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

The picture with 2 in its the camera that has made the 2nd catfish black with him/her being in the shadows. They are sort of a greyish colour with the black dots. I wouldn't rule out the cukoos they look fantastic with the bigger spots. Its exciting times getting new fish its a shame when it has to end i have room for 2 more i reckon and thats me done :-( but i am looking forward to watching the fish grow in particular the cats really excited for that! Cant wait :-)

Im really glad the LFS pointed out the cukoos when i went to get another 3 petricolas and then i decided to go with 3 of those for abit of variety. Mike over on rift valley cichlids is selling both versions of the petricola both wild caught for the petricola and tank bread for the dwarf.

Will you go for the dwarf or the petricolas or you going with what the LFS gets. If its the true petricola 10-20 is briiliant if its the dwarf i think you should be looking in the region of around 10 each :-) I think my cuckoos cost me 8 each.

My first choice is the lucipinnis as I`d rather have the dwarf sized syno, then the petricola IF I can`t get the lucipinnis, lastly would be the cuckoo because I think they would be too harsh around the breeding pair of caudopunctatus I have in the tank.
I`ve asked at MA for them to reserve me only one of the cuckoo if they have any black ones or 3 petricola/lucipinnis if they have any black ones of them.....they do have some black and white synos in their big display tank so I really don`t know which is which and what`s definately coming in the delivery.
I`ve been quoted between 15-20 for the 'petricola', I won`t know whether they`re petricola or lucipinnis until I get to actually see them though, so I will have to play it by ear on the price until I know for certain and can sort it there and then....if that makes sense? :unsure:

#26 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

My first choice is the lucipinnis as I`d rather have the dwarf sized syno, then the petricola IF I can`t get the lucipinnis, lastly would be the cuckoo because I think they would be too harsh around the breeding pair of caudopunctatus I have in the tank.
I`ve asked at MA for them to reserve me only one of the cuckoo if they have any black ones or 3 petricola/lucipinnis if they have any black ones of them.....they do have some black and white synos in their big display tank so I really don`t know which is which and what`s definately coming in the delivery.
I`ve been quoted between 15-20 for the 'petricola', I won`t know whether they`re petricola or lucipinnis until I get to actually see them though, so I will have to play it by ear on the price until I know for certain and can sort it there and then....if that makes sense? :unsure:

Yer its a case of seeing what they have and going from there. Least you could maybe have more of the dwarf as apposed to the petricola but it will all be decided on what they get in, exciting times. Are you hoping for tiny ones or ones with abit of size? I was hoping for reasonable sized ones but the LFS said thats all they could get a hold of, and then i thought well ill get the benefit of watching them grow but the only problem then is, its hard to distinguish between the dwarf petricola and the real deal. Been to 3 LFS with petricolas in but they were all tiny! Dont know if its that time and all but seems to be hard to get hold of bigger ones.

You will have to put some pics up when you get them :-

#27 elisew

elisew

• Pip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

I decided on the lucipinnis and ordered 5 of them from Mikes Rifts on Tuesday, they were delivered this morning. They`re about 2" (ish) in size, a really lovely cream colour, not the normal light tan I`ve seen before and they`re great. I`m absolutely chuffed to bits with them! :wub: :wub:

Video

#28 Graphic5

Graphic5

Fish Fanatic

• 143 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

[quote name='elisew' date='27 January 2011 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1296137806' post='2918901']
I decided on the lucipinnis and ordered 5 of them from Mikes Rifts on Tuesday, they were delivered this morning. They`re about 2" (ish) in size, a really lovely cream colour, not the normal light tan I`ve seen before and they`re great. I`m absolutely chuffed to bits with them! :wub: :wub:

Love them i can see why you happy with them :good:

#29 SensesFail

SensesFail

Fishaholic

• 542 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Huizenga

Huizenga