Damselfly Nymph

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cambspaul

cambspaul

Fish Fanatic

• 86 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

Just did a small water change and found this tiny shrimp looking thing in my tank . It was about 1 cm long and almost totally clear . Ive been reading up and im sure its a damselfly nymph .
Has anyone found these in there tank and do you know how they can get in there ?

#2 BigC

BigC

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

Possibly came in on plant matter. Predator get rid
Regards
C

#3 zuulan

zuulan

Fishaholic

• 491 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

Looks like?
Posted Image

#4 cambspaul

cambspaul

Fish Fanatic

• 86 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

My wife did a bit of digging around online and found this site http://www.bumblebee...es/Odonata1.htm From what I can tell, the Damselfly and Dragon fly nymph's are different. The one we killed doesn't look like that photo Zuulan, then again ours might of been very young.

Does anyone know how to get rid of them. We have 5 Camboba plants? Which is where we sucked up the one we found, during a water change.

#5 xamy_valox

xamy_valox

Fishaholic

• 678 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

My wife did a bit of digging around online and found this site http://www.bumblebee...es/Odonata1.htm From what I can tell, the Damselfly and Dragon fly nymph's are different. The one we killed doesn't look like that photo Zuulan, then again ours might of been very young.

Does anyone know how to get rid of them. We have 5 Camboba plants? Which is where we sucked up the one we found, during a water change.

Hiya Cambspaul, I had exactly the same in my tank. I only ever found the one though, i put it in my outdoor pond and that was that! If you find that you get more I'd just fish them out, but I wouldn't say that you will definitely have anymore in the tank =] Amy xx

#6 cambspaul

cambspaul

Fish Fanatic

• 86 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

Hiya Cambspaul, I had exactly the same in my tank. I only ever found the one though, i put it in my outdoor pond and that was that! If you find that you get more I'd just fish them out, but I wouldn't say that you will definitely have anymore in the tank =] Amy xx

Hopefully it is just the one , it was very hard to see . Thanks Amy

#7 Ben M

Ben M

Formerly pest control

• Pip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

It won't be a recurring problem. You may find a few more, but if you fish them out you'll not get any more, as they only breed once they have become adults, and I'm sure you'd notice a load of them flying about. :good:

#8 loraxchick

loraxchick

Fish Herder

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:26 PM

Looks like?
Posted Image

thats a dragonfly nymph...Different species and much more predatory than damselfly. Most damselfly nymphs eat algae and detritus. Small water critters. Would really only be harmful to tiny fry or shrimplets.
cheers

#9 Ben M

Ben M

Formerly pest control

• Pip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

BTW, that pic is great. :good:

#10 fluttermoth

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)

• Global Moderator
  • 13,152 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

It is a great pic; I never realised that dragonflies had wings while still in the nymph stage.

I've always fancied having a set-up for native(UK) invertebrates; maybe I'll get around to it one day!

#11 cambspaul

cambspaul

Fish Fanatic

• 86 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice on this :good:

Ill keep my eyes open for more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users