Camellanus Worms (Maybe?)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BettaCrazy7

BettaCrazy7

Fish Crazy

• 213 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

Yesterday I noticed one of my angelfish's intestines were outside of his body. Today it's gotten worst and it looks like there are worms hanging from it as well. I think he may have the interal parasite, camellanus. I've read that a good way to treat it is to feed Jungle Anti-Parasite medicated foods. Can I find this at local chain stores such as Petco or PetSmart? Is there a better way to treat it? I've only noticed it in one of my angels. The others are eating fine, are active, and are overall acting normal. Should I still treat them just in case or should I move the sick angel to a hospital tank of his own? I've also read of people losing their entire tank to this parasite and others have treated it successfully. Is it hard to treat? How exactly is it caused? I know some live/frozen foods can cause parasites and I have fed them frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. If any one could give a step-by-step on how to treat these parasites that would be very helpful. I don't want to lose any of my angelfish.

#2 mbsqw1d

mbsqw1d

Fishaholic

• 634 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:05 PM

if the intestines are truely hanging out of it's body then I would say it is too late to treat the fish and you should consider putting it out of its misery. Are you able to show us a pic?

#3 BettaCrazy7

BettaCrazy7

Fish Crazy

• 213 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:44 AM

I do have a pic but it's a little blurry. Whatever it may have been is back inside him now. I'm still going to treat the tank for internal parasites.

#4 AstonN24vantage

AstonN24vantage

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:46 AM

thats very wierd... may as well upload the pic. cant hurt. if it looks like the angel wont last longer i would euthanize it.

#5 BettaCrazy7

BettaCrazy7

Fish Crazy

• 213 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:47 AM

About 15 minutes after posting that I found it outside his body again. I know it's not camellanus but I still need to know what to treat him with. He doesn't look terrible (not including the bulg). He stays near the heater most of the time and doesn't move. I haven't payed attention if he's been eating or not but I'll check that next time I feed them.

Sorry, it's blurry.
Posted Image

Edited by BettaCrazy7, 09 December 2010 - 03:49 AM.

#6 AstonN24vantage

AstonN24vantage

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:42 AM

not terrible, i can at least see what your talking about!

#7 mbsqw1d

mbsqw1d

Fishaholic

• 634 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

yeh that is hard to make out.. pretty sure its not Camellanus as they are red as far as I know. Do they definately look worm like? Or does it appear more like cotton wool? - in which case I'm inclined to say its a fungal infection

#8 AstonN24vantage

AstonN24vantage

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:59 AM

i would start a treatment. i guess salt bath. i cannot watch any angelfish suffer! (confirm please)

#9 myrtle

myrtle

Fishaholic

• 627 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

This may be a silly suggestion but it's not a breeding tube is it? It just made me think that when you said it comes out and goes back in!

#10 BettaCrazy7

BettaCrazy7

Fish Crazy

• 213 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

Not a breeding tube. I think I'm going to treat him with levamisole (sp?).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users