• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dayzofspeed

dayzofspeed

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

during my recent ich outbreak i was advised to try feeding garlic to my fish as a supplement to help their immune system. which is the best way of doing this and how much should i give them, obviously i dont want my tank to smell like a frenchmans armpit lol. I have some dried and crushed garlic in the kitchen, in one of those little shaker things is that stuff ok or do i have to supply them with fresh stuff......... all help appreciated as usual, cheers in advance

#2 moochy13

moochy13

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

mix it in with your other food. im not sure abotu whether the dried stuff will br alright though.

#3 star4

star4

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,075 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

Personally I think you would be better off using the crushed garlic, just a little in water and soak the food in that, strain it and feed it to the fish. You can get frozen brine shrimp & garlic from you lfs if the have a good selection of frozen foods. I use that its easier and less messy

#4 Twinklecaz

Twinklecaz

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

I boil my peas up with a glove of garlic!

#5 Katch

Katch

Fishaholic

• 576 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

you can get garlic capsules from health food shops which contain pure extracted garlic oil. Use a pin to make a little hole in one - then mix it into what ever you are feeding. Give it a minute or 2 to stand and then feed as normal.

By far the easiest way to supplement with garlic.

#6 dayzofspeed

dayzofspeed

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:03 AM

i have used a little from the shaker and the fish did seem to eat it although they struggled at first, i was thinking maybe it was a little too hard for them, but only a couple of the grains actually reached the bottom of the tank

#7 dayzofspeed

dayzofspeed

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

i also meant to ask how often?

#8 anon02

anon02

Fishaholic

• 606 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

I`ve used garlic in carp baits for years, I`ve found that the most attractive way to present it is in crushed form. If I were to feed it to my tropicals I would crush a clove and sprinkle a few pellets of granular feed to soak up some of the juices for a few minutes

I dont use garlic oil, it has been refined and it floats

If your fish will eat garlic every day I can see no problem in feeding it as often as you like, it is a natural vegetable extract

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users