• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 chris1804

chris1804

• 42 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

ive set up my tank ive put about 40l of water in
ive put 10ml of aqua plus
and 10ml of nutrafin cycle (do i keep adding this for 3 days 10ml and after that 10ml weekly?

do i have to add any more aqua plus?

heater and filter is running ive set the heater to 27c is that correct?

Edited by chris1804, 06 September 2010 - 06:07 PM.

#2 chris1804

chris1804

• 42 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

anyone?

anyone?

#3 festo

festo

Fish Crazy

• 283 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

you need to add ammonia

#4 chris1804

chris1804

• 42 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

you need to add ammonia

ok ill get some ammonia tomorrow, what does it do?

am right in saying i have to add 10ml of nutrafin cycle for 3 days then 10ml weekly?

do i need to add any more aqua plus? or is that just for when i do water changes?

sorry im new to all this, everybody has to learn somewhere i suppose lol

#5 chris1804

chris1804

• 42 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

been reading about cycling tanks im confused,

right ive added aqua plus to the water so thats alright,(how often do i need to do water changes and i take it i need to add this everytime i do a water change,

add nutrafin cycle for the first 3 days then 10ml every week

do all this for 6-8 weeks before i add fish?

how about the ammonia how often do i add that?

#6 Inchworm

Inchworm

Li'l Ole Fish Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,711 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:48 AM

Hi chris1804 :)

I'll move your thread to the Your New Freshwater Tank section. You will need to learn about what the cycling process is and how to test your water as you go along. The members who post in there will give you some articles to read and will walk you through the whole thing, step by step. It is a bit of work and will take some time, but will be well worth the effort in the long run.

#7 chris1804

chris1804

• 42 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

I'll move your thread to the Your New Freshwater Tank section. You will need to learn about what the cycling process is and how to test your water as you go along. The members who post in there will give you some articles to read and will walk you through the whole thing, step by step. It is a bit of work and will take some time, but will be well worth the effort in the long run.

thanks, anybody tell me a step by step day by day what i need to do. Gonna go and get some ammonia and testing kit today

how often do i add the ammonia?

#8 curlyriff

curlyriff

Fish Crazy

• 295 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:01 AM

thanks, anybody tell me a step by step day by day what i need to do. Gonna go and get some ammonia and testing kit today

how often do i add the ammonia?

Don't use cycle it is rubbish. I had to do a 80% water change to get my tank cycle to work with the standard fishless cycle. If you read up on hear about fishless cycling it will tell you but there is a calculator button up top you put in size of tank and want to put around 5ppm for your first lot so around 6g tank requires 1.2ml of ammonia (assuming your ammonia is 9.5%, it will say on bottle).

Make sure you get a descent test kit becuase it is inportant for the levels to be accurate.

I won't explain the whole cycle process for you as it has already been fully written up on the forum, I am sure someone will link it or give you directions.

Kind Regards,

Adam

#9 Tolak

Tolak

Gun Toting Lunatic

• Moved On
  • 15,061 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:15 AM

You'll find all sorts of good information here. The cycling topics should give you a real good idea of what the process is.

#10 chris1804

chris1804

• 42 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

brought some ammonia from homebase it bubbled up for about 2 seconds so i guess its ok. Brought a test kit from fish shop. will test it later what does ppm mean.

#11 curlyriff

curlyriff

Fish Crazy

• 295 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

It is parts per million, this is what your test kit will measure against.

As said before you want to be adding 5ppm using the calculattor. Then as it cycles you should be able to see in about 2/3 days that it drops to around 4ppm and in a week that you will have no to very little ammonia in the tank. At the same time your Nitrite shoudl be rising.

This will later create Nitrate for oyour tank and will help to creat the bacteria required. Onces you have dropped to around 0.0ppm for ammonia or close you should then add around 3-4 ppm of ammonia to continue the cycle until you see a spike in the nitrites & they start dropping to zero.

It will become apparent you are close to this stage when in 2 hours your ammonia has dropped from3/4ppm to in 12 hours or less. ONly top up the ammonia every 24 hours. In the end your cycle with the test should be reading 0 ammoina, 0 nitritae and over 100 for Ntrate.

Once this occurs check evry day at the same time for similar results. If this holds steady for a few day swhile you have still been adding 3ppm of ammonia your tank has cycled.

Then once thi sis done you should performe a water change. if it is over 100ppm in your tank you should do around a 90% water change which will drop it to around 10ppm this will be fine for your fish and anywhere between 5ppm and 20ppm is optimum.

I believe this is all correct (someone please say if I missed or said incorrectly about something) and if you don't undestand anything please say and I will try to break it down and help with a better explination.

This is just an overview of how it works and there are more in depth write ups on the subject on this site and to what I believe you have already been given a link too.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Adam

#12 chris1804

chris1804

• 42 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

think i need to get some more testing kit the bloke has only gave me ammonia kit

#13 frogmarch1987

frogmarch1987

• 36 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

most of the people on here use and recommend this kit:

http://aquariumpharm...px?ProductID=67

#14 curlyriff

curlyriff

Fish Crazy

• 295 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

think i need to get some more testing kit the bloke has only gave me ammonia kit

You ideally want a kit for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH & High PH incase your water is over 7.6PH which most limit at.

For instant my tap water is between 7.8 & 8.0PH from the tap.

Kind Regards,

Adam

#15 waterdrop

waterdrop

Enthusiastic "Re-Beginner"

• 13,812 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:36 AM

Yes, agree, Adam is giving good advice. WD

#16 chris1804

chris1804

• 42 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

water in tank is clear but going a cloudy colour is this normal? think im gonna start all over again

i done ammonia test and i think it was 0.6 , but gonna start all over again and folloe adams how2

Edited by chris1804, 07 September 2010 - 12:10 PM.

#17 curlyriff

curlyriff

Fish Crazy

• 295 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

water in tank is clear but going a cloudy colour is this normal? think im gonna start all over again

i done ammonia test and i think it was 0.6 , but gonna start all over again and folloe adams how2

I would put fresh water in use the aqua plus to condition your water, its not the best but just put twice as much as they recommend(so you want 20ml for every 10g U.S). Then leave that for a few hours to sort itself out.

Then add the ammonia as per my guide, the water should become cloudy to start with but will clear anywhere between 30mins and a few hours depending on your filter.

Kind Regards,

Adam

#18 chris1804

chris1804

• 42 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

just added 5ppm of ammonia (worked out at 2.63ml i put 2.5ml in) and added 20ml of aqua plus,

think i understand now

(thick i know) lol

so i dont have to add any more ammonia untill it drops to 0.0ppm? or do i have to add ammonia everyday? and test every day for Nitrites and this should be rising? but once the ammonia is at 0.0ppm add about 3-4ppm ammonia and the Nitrite will start to drop to 0 so will the ammonia and once all is on 0 cycle is done?

think i understand

sorry first time , a friend of mine never told me all this and hes had his for a few weeks now, lol

that ammonia is bloody strong stuff, i snift it thinking is wasnt strong and bloody hell,

ordered a testing kit cost me £20

Edited by chris1804, 07 September 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#19 curlyriff

curlyriff

Fish Crazy

• 295 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:17 PM

just added 5ppm of ammonia (worked out at 2.63ml i put 2.5ml in) and added 20ml of aqua plus,

think i understand now

(thick i know) lol

so i dont have to add any more ammonia untill it drops to 0.0ppm? but keep testing every day for Nitrites and this should be rising? but once the ammonia is at 0.0ppm add about 3-4ppm ammonia and the Nitrite will start to drop to 0 so will the ammonia and once all is on 0 cycle is done?

think i understand

sorry first time , a friend of mine never told me all this and hes had his for a few weeks now, lol

Pretty much, you only need to add the aqua plus if you was putting in new fresh tap water but this wpnt change anything and if you hadn't put any aqua plus in then its OK now.

I wouldnt start to test for the Nitrite until your first drop in ammonia to 4.0ppm even then it still may read 0.0ppm for the Nitrite as the process does not happen instantly.

Add enough ammonia to raise it back to 4.0ppm once the ammoinia reaches 0.0ppm.

test daily for both ammonia and nitrite. Evey time you hit 0.0ppm of ammonia add more. This should be around 1 week the first time and then every 24hours or so for a few weeks. Once this cycle has continued you will notice that it only takes around 12 hours for the ammonia to become 0.0ppm from the last time your put it in.

This normally means that you the right amount of bacteria for the fish you wish to keep. The nitrite at this pint will still be high but should drop naturally to 0.0ppm due to the bacterical colony you now havE. This will happen around 2/3 weeks after the ammonia had its first drop from 5.0ppm to 0.0ppm.

Meaning you are in your 3rd/4th week of the cycle.

Once your Nitrite has dropped keep adding ammonia at 4ppm to keep your bacteria alive as you have no fish yet to support them. Keep reading this for a week to confirm cycle is complete and that both ammonia & nitrate is 0.0ppm.

If this is the case all you need to do know is test your Nitrate and work out how much of a water change you need to do. Same as I stated before if at 100ppm or there abouts a 90% water change would be ideal.

This means you can then add your fish to your tank once you have completed your water change. If you do your water change the same day you get your fish make sure that you have used aqua plus in the tap water first and that the temp is around room temp before you put in tank. Then wait an hour or so before adding fish.

There is another bit on how to put your fish in the tank but we will deal with that when it is time.

Hope this is slightly clearer and makes sense. If you have any specific problems let us know and we will try and help.

Kind Regards,

Adam

#20 chris1804

chris1804

• 42 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

you know when you say the ammonia drops, do you mean when i test it and use the colour chart? on my chart i have

(all numbers have a colour) so when i test tomorrow it should be a colour and not white(0) but when it does get clear/white add 4ppm of ammonia until it drops to 0 againa nd keep doing this, and test the other thing?

think ive got it now

cheers adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users