Jump to content


Photo

Chlorine Poisoning


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chezster

chezster

    New Member

  • Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:32 PM

If a fish has been unintentionally poisoned by excess chlorine i.e. bad sores on gills - sitting on bottom etc...

Is there anything I can do to help this fish or is it likely to die??

#2 gixer

gixer

    Fish Addict

  • Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:37 PM

are you possitive it is chlorine? if so how. can you give us more detail of what happened etc..

also how long the tank has been set up. ammonia and nitrite readings and what is this fish? what size tank and what else is in there.

the more info the better we can advise ;)

#3 chezster

chezster

    New Member

  • Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:46 PM

OK need to be honest here.

It's a goldfish - I know this is a tropical forum but you guys seem to know what you are talking about.

I have taken the fish on from a young cousin who won it at the fair.

It has been put in straight tap water and quickly developed black/white sores on its gills. It is also lingering at the bottom of the tank and scraping.

I have adopted this fish in the hope I can save it - I hate it when these things are given away at fairs.

The environment it is in now is OK (not brilliant). I just wanted to know if there is anything else I can do to save him.


Thanks in anticipation.

#4 SailfinGirl

SailfinGirl

    Fishaholic

  • Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:15 PM

Ok, i don't know what you could do to save it, but if it pulls through, where I live you can buy this stuff called Aquasafe, I'm sure there's something like it near you, it makes tapwater safe for fish to live in. Hope the fish pulls through ok.

#5 gixer

gixer

    Fish Addict

  • Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:15 PM

right.. at least you came to ask for advice. thats got to be a good thing ;)

hopefully he is in dechlorinated water now....yes? if so im not too sure really what else you can do.this is not something i have come across myself but i would imagine fresh clean dechlorinated water will do the trick if he isnt too far gone.

im not sure on this but my guess would be stresscoat could be beneficial as his slim coat will be affected. (help me out someone this is purely a guess).

what are you keeping this fish in? has it got a filter? is it cyced or just a bowl?

#6 Cheese Specialist

Cheese Specialist

    Newbie

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:33 PM

right.. at least you came to ask for advice. thats got to be a good thing ;)

hopefully he is in dechlorinated water now....yes? if so im not too sure really what else you can do.this is not something i have come across myself but i would imagine fresh clean dechlorinated water will do the trick if he isnt too far gone.

im not sure on this but my guess would be stresscoat could be beneficial as his slim coat will be affected. (help me out someone this is purely a guess).

what are you keeping this fish in? has it got a filter? is it cyced or just a bowl?

Stress Coat or aquarium salt would be good to relieve the stress on the fish a bit and help with it's slime coat.

Stress coat also acts as a dechlorinator so perhaps it would be best to add a dose of that straight to the water as this will prevent further stress from taking the fish out of the tank/bowl or changing all the water.

What is the fish in now, does it have a filter?

Oh and don't worry about askingcoldwater questons, many people have goldfish too and a fish is a fish after all!

Good luck :)

#7 sleepyflight

sleepyflight

    New Member

  • Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:17 AM

Amquel, Aquasafe, Stresscoat, etc....dechlor and a lil salt w/new water. Sounds like he got the shock of his life. Usually chlorine poisoning will cloud the slime coating too. Not a cold water expert though. How come the people with cichlids never post much!!! :P

#8 Big_al_d

Big_al_d

    New Member

  • Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:44 AM

I have taken the fish on from a young cousin who won it at the fair.

They still do that??? :o

I haven't seen that in years and thought it was banned :o

I've actually just read up and found out that most local authorities have banned it and the RSPCA are trying to ban it all together... the sooner the better.

Hope everything works out,




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users