How Much/often To Feed Guppies?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tropical_Fish

Tropical_Fish

Fishaholic

• 423 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:16 PM

I've read conflicting info on how much to feed guppies.

I've got 5 guppies and have been told to make sure I don't overfeed them as most people do.

They seem to be constantly searching for food - so far I've been feeding once in the morning and once at night, but only a very small amount. On each feed I give them one flake crushed and sprinkled around the tank to make sure they all get some.

I've also substituted one of the feeds for bloodworm (quarter of a cube) - Even a 1/4 of a cube seemed like quite a lot for the 5 guppies but they ate every bit.

One of the guppies (my orange one) seemed unable to eat the bloodworm and spat it out each time he got one - he eats plenty of the flake food though.

So is two flakes of food a day enough for 5 guppies - or should I be feeding more?

#2 Duck and Dive

Duck and Dive

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

You should be feeding more than that! Feed as much as they would eat in a few minutes, or 1 flake for each guppy.

#3 hughessomefish

hughessomefish

Fish Addict

• 898 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

guppys are diffrent the most fish they are very greedy lol and want the food,so give them a good meal,and they will still look hungry bye swimming up and down the sides,lol its funny

#4 Duck and Dive

Duck and Dive

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:14 PM

guppys are diffrent the most fish they are very greedy lol and want the food,so give them a good meal,and they will still look hungry bye swimming up and down the sides,lol its funny

Still make sure they are not overfed as it can lead to health problems.

#5 hughessomefish

hughessomefish

Fish Addict

• 898 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

yes you gotta find the right balanced diet,thats no laughing matter

#6 Duck and Dive

Duck and Dive

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

Exactly :good: Feed frozen or live food once a week as well, guppies need a high vegetable diet, finely chopped spinach is good for guppies as well as vegetable food such as tetra pro vegetable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users