• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 BigC

BigC

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

As I like a spot of gardening I just thought I'd share with you some pictures of my gardening exploits.
When my family first moved into our new home, it was a new build and the rear garden was just that...a building site, littered with used cement bags and plumbing off-cuts.
We hired a few skips and a Rotavator and began the monumental task of trying to make a garden out of a rubbish tip. I think we've succeeded. See what you think!

Posted Image
At least its not raining lol

Posted Image
The bottom end

Posted Image

Posted Image
Hosta

Posted Image
Black Bamboo

Posted Image
Primula Vialli

Posted Image
Latest addition..... Red Berry

Posted Image
A selection of pots

Posted Image
Come sit a while.....

I love Acers and I would have a garden full of them if I could
here are just a few...

Posted Image
Nice shape.. I wish I'd planted this in a huge pot rather than in the border

Posted Image
This one I've had from about 12" in height

Posted Image
I recently put this group together, All supplies available from B&Q
it consists of a nice pot, compost & Black pebbles. Consisting of an Acer palmatum Dissectum
and a Saxifraga. Turned out pretty well I think. I was trying to achieve that Japanese look.

Posted Image
Who's that! A Japanese Hotei. He's meant to bring good luck if you rub his head.
No big lottery win thus far :lol:

No garden is complete without a bit of water IMO
I wanted a huge formal Koi pond but she wouldn't let me
so here's my small splash - economy model

Posted Image
Half barrel pond, complete with a minature Water Lily and Iris

Posted Image
Yes! you did see a fish, in actual fact there are two comet goldfish in residence

Posted Image
Another one of my DIY jobs...Its a small bamboo watercourse which accepts the pipe from the circulation pump.
It makes a nice relaxing noise of splashing water in the summer evenings.

Well that's about it, I hope you enjoyed this mini tour around my garden
Thanks for dropping by
Regards
BigC

#2 Ludwig Venter

Ludwig Venter

Fish Gatherer

• Retired Moderator
  • 8,207 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

I said so before, and I say it again..... Beauuuutiful!!!.... I know (like myself) you've just moved into Bonsai's..... show us some of those!....

#3 chesterscot

chesterscot

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

nice mate love the acer dissectum you must have nice acid soil :)
one quick question how come your hosta is the only one ive seen with no snail damage lol you hideing some magic powers :rolleyes:
also if your vialli is large enough to split try a bit in your water mate i grow mine as a marginal/bog plant and it thrives
regards scot :good:

just seen luds post !!
what bonsai you got mate you doing an acer ive just started off a porotia and an acer psudoplatanus (edit spelling lol)
scot :)

#4 minxfishy

minxfishy

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

Well I wish my garden looked as good as that, good job :good:

#5 BigC

BigC

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

Ah Ludwig, I see your falling in love with this Japanese slice of Northern Ireland this is your second visit in as many days. lol
Bonsai well yes. I'm keen, I want to learn, I've done a mountain of research, I bought a small Chinese Elm for starters and as you can see from the pics I'm no Mr Miagi
The first day I got the blooming thing the leaves started to drop off. It was perfectly fine in the shop, a picture of health. Maybe I should stick to Acers. I'll keep it though as a learning piece but my main aim was to move onto miniature Japanese Acers (bonsai)

nice mate love the acer dissectum you must have nice acid soil

Yeah I remove the top soil every spring and re apply with acidic compost for Rhododendrons

one quick question how come your hosta is the only one ive seen with no snail damage lol you hideing some magic powers

Get yourself a frog M8, They seem to mop up everything around that pond.

also if your vialli is large enough to split try a bit in your water mate i grow mine as a marginal/bog plant and it thrives

I have a couple of bunches growing along that fence and I water them profusely, Interestingly enough, it didn't like being around the pond area where it is very damp

ATB
C

#6 Ludwig Venter

Ludwig Venter

Fish Gatherer

• Retired Moderator
  • 8,207 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:42 PM

Just not the right season here in SA to be "showing off" my self developed Bonsai, but despite, here goes.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 BigC

BigC

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

At least yours has leaves

Posted Image
:lol:

ATB
C

#8 BigC

BigC

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:29 PM

and here's our chief bird scarer and garden Fertiliser..... our 23yr old moggie "Beauty".

Posted Image

ATB
C

#9 dthoffsett

dthoffsett

I'm a girl . . . yup, definitely a girl. =)

• Retired Moderator
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:27 AM

Your garden is beautiful Big C. :drool:

How would you like to come to Wyoming when I move and make my yard look pretty. :hey: I'm not too bad with plants but I'll be going from 32-36" of rain a year to 10". :blink: I'm thinking lots of succulants. :lol:

#10 BigC

BigC

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

In the Early Morning Rain..half a dollar in my hand. (as the song goes)
Well yes it's raining here in Northern Ireland once again, only to be expected I guess. There's thunder and lightening looming in the air.
Here's a few shots from this morning, I was expecting to sit outside, have breakfast and read a magazine but I guess that's not gonna happen today.

Posted Image
In total contrast to the sunshine

Posted Image

Posted Image
Gloomy Outlook

Posted Image
Must think about getting that guy a raincoat

How would you like to come to Wyoming when I move and make my yard look pretty. I'm not too bad with plants but I'll be going from 32-36" of rain a year to 10". I'm thinking lots of succulents.

I'd love to visit Wyoming D and also be able to grow large cacti outdoors that would be amazing. I can get some smaller relations that are hardy to our climatic conditions such as Sempervivum

Here is my only succulent (cacti). It really has grown over the years...seems to like that spot

Posted Image

There is still room in the garden for a few more plants I think. Last season I lost my pride and joy
Parthenocissus henryana this plant I definitely want to replace. It used to grow up the back wall of my house and was a colourful spectacle in the late summer/autumn
I grew it in a large trough which became waterlogged in winter and rotted the rood structure.
To hide the oil tank some what I wish to plant a New Zealand Tree Fern (Dicksonia squamosa)
There was a small folage plant I came across whilst Holidaying in Queensland Australia by the name of Rhoeo (so far unable to find it in the UK ...not the the variegated variety) So chesterscott if you come across this one give me a shout.....
I also want to try a Sml Bottlebrush. Callistemon sp.
And maybe Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) and Hibiscus in the Greenhouse.
We used the Greenhouse for tomatoes and salad vegetables in previous years but I would like to grow some exotic plants at some point
I think that should keep me busy for this year
ATB
BigC

#11 Gill

Gill

Store Manager Coalville Aquatics

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

Wow that is a Stunning Garden :good: :good:

#12 Inchworm

Inchworm

Li'l Ole Fish Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,711 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

How lovely, BigC! :flowers:

Having a garden is one of the things I miss most about living in an apartment complex. Window sill plants are fine, but it's just not the same.

Sweet cat, too. :wub:

#13 Buddyboy67

Buddyboy67

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:03 AM

Never took u as green fingered sir...Gotta say i'm impressed..specially like the self portrait in sculpture...nice touch,lol....

#14 BigC

BigC

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

Never took u as green fingered sir...Gotta say i'm impressed..specially like the self portrait in sculpture...nice touch,lol....

:lol: Cheeky Prat!
He weighs more than me, made from stone, he's more solid than I am and can take a few knocks. Funnily my wife seems to have your train of thought.
I like plants and planting, I'm no expert, I just see something I like and buy it I guess, some things work and some don't.
But I do have a soft spot for Acers.
ATB
C

#15 BigC

BigC

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

:yahoo: Wey Hey!
My Bonsai (Chinese Elm) is making a comeback.

Posted Image

Eat yor heart out
Posted Image

Everything's comming up
Posted Image
Pudsey Bear rose.

ATB
C

#16 Socks

Socks

Fish Fanatic

• 160 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

Nice gardens,I think you did well. I'm sooooooo jealous of your hot house,I hope to build one this fall to be ready for spring,but I doubt it will be as nice as yours. :)

#17 owlbassboy

owlbassboy

Fish Crazy

• 210 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:17 AM

lovely garden big c, how did your elm end up like that lol heres my one

Posted Image

#18 BigC

BigC

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

Excellent Stephen,
Looks a nice shape.
Hope mine ends up looking like that only its a bit smaller.
I'm letting it do it's thing and leaving well alone for now. It didn't like being indoors so
its outside and it seems to be doing fine now.
ATB
C

#19 owlbassboy

owlbassboy

Fish Crazy

• 210 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

i set mine outside in when it rains.

#20 chesterscot

chesterscot

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

will look out for you C
got some callistemon (bottle brush) seed if youve got a spare ten years :lol: as for stralitzia (bird of paradise) get lud to raid the wilds of south africa for seed or if you have a wilkinsons over there they are a fiver same for hibiscus but its the hardy purple one
regards mate scot :)

#21 seffieuk

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!

• Winner - Pet Of The Year
  • 11,133 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Oh my goodness - don't get me interested in blooming bonsai as well!

Seffie x

ps just off to look at bonsai, oh just thought, we have a Chelsea gold medal winner down the road - oh if only it wasn't snowing :look:

pps darn, what i should have done was not told you about the gold medal winner and nipped down there and taken a few snaps :P http://www.bushukan-bonsai.com/

Edited by seffieuk, 08 January 2010 - 03:43 PM.

#22 aly_starh

aly_starh

Fish Herder

• Winner - Pet Of The Month
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

Oh my goodness - don't get me interested in blooming bonsai as well!

Seffie x

Snap... and i just ordered one aswell!!!!!!! :) :lol: :lol:

That garden is smashing Big C!!!! Good Job! :good:

#23 loraxchick

loraxchick

Fish Herder

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

your garden is beautiful! well done. i am very very jealous of your greenhouse. i will have a glass greenhouse someday :fun: and what a pretty kitty :)
cheers

#24 Ludwig Venter

Ludwig Venter

Fish Gatherer

• Retired Moderator
  • 8,207 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

Since I saw this topic has surfaced again, I quickly explored the garden again with the camera....

This is an indigenous tree called "apiesdoring" (directly translated it would be Monkey thorn tree).... 14 years old.
Posted Image

This Bonzai Syringha is covered in a whitish something on the stems... What is it and what can I do about it??
Posted Image

This is a Kiepersol... another indigenous tree.. About 20 years old.
Posted Image

This is what we call a "graveyard" plant and is actually growing between the bricks... If I put it in a pot, it will not grow.
Posted Image

This is an "airplant". It has no roots and will grow if you hang it from the ceiling with a piece of string.
Posted Image

A Cactus growing in a window box.
Posted Image

Just showing off the lawn... Has to be mowed 3 times a week... fortunately very small.
Posted Image

Very young Palmtree next to a goldfish "bowl"
Posted Image

Big Fern behind a garden chair
Posted Image

Some cacti arrangement on the window sill.
Posted Image

#25 aly_starh

aly_starh

Fish Herder

• Winner - Pet Of The Month
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

Wow, cool plants ludwig!

Especially:
Grave yard plant:-Wierd
Air plant:- Wierd-er

:lol: i have never seen or heard of them.

The Bonsai looks cool! Cant wait for mine to arrive! (Man, i sound well sad. lol)

#26 seffieuk

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!

• Winner - Pet Of The Year
  • 11,133 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

Betta you can buy air plants from most garden shops - very weird as you say!

My goodness you ave some nice plants, most of those we would probably have to grow indoors :sad:

Oh, no, i can see myself heading down to the bonsai place................

Seffie x

#27 Ryefish

Ryefish

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:44 PM

Really nice garden! I would love to have a greenhouse. I was tempted to buy my mum one of those plastic type ones for her birthday but im not sure where she would put it. You have a nice Hosta! The snail devoured ours just before autumn kicked in :( It was growing really nice too. Ah, and the acers! I would have a garden full aswell if i could. I dream of having a red acer over a large pond ^^

But at the minute i have to deal with a diseased Apricot tree (its in a pot, was a birthday present and i didnt want to leave it anywhere) and a million house plants

#28 bae1994

bae1994

Fact. Bears eat beets. Bears.Beets.Battlestar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:12 AM

heh my local garden centre have a giant bonsai that looks identicle to this

without the red

http://cdn-write.dem.../80/2/16582.jpg

about 10 ft tall and

5,000 pounds

but yeah tried with bonsais and failed lol

#29 chesterscot

chesterscot

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:18 AM

sorry to hijack but lud your lawn is stunning a team of rabbits or guinea pigs would die to graze that, take a look at Iberis sempivirens it looks and grows awfully like your graveyard plant but i cant see the flowers in enough detail to tell
regards scot :good:

#30 three-fingers

three-fingers

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,554 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:47 AM

While they have their uses I'm really not a fan of lawns, am I the only one? :lol:.

But I love both your gardens!

Living with my parents still (:rolleyes:), my mums in charge of the garden, and she's very good at it too. She designs other peoples gardens too, and has done courses on garden design and plants at Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh, I think she's looking to do more, and eventually wants to start a business designing gardens.

I used to have a patch of the garden to myself, but that was destroyed when we got our extension built :(.

I'm still allowed control of the garden pond though, and I grow carnivorous plants, orchids and cacti/succulents in my room. Aquatic plants are my favourite though.

Would post pics but it's dark, -6*C outside and everything is frozen/snowed over.

Love spending summers in the garden though.

Love your economy pond BigC, and the acers are beautiful!

Very jealous of your collection too Ludwig, especially your airplant (I used to grow lots of these, but ran out of space).

I need to try air plants again lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users