Photo

Fish Pooping Out White/clear Stringy Stuff?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 fry_forever!

fry_forever!

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

Hi. My fish have been pooping out the white-clearish stringy stuff for a while, and I've heard that it's an internal parasite. My fish were done with their ich treatments half a week ago, and now almost all of their parasitical symptoms are gone..... except they're still pooping out that white stringy stuff. Is it just a parasite that could be causing this? Because I've had my temp up to 87F for this whole week to help get rid of the last of ich, and they are still pooping that gross stuff out like there's no tomorrow. Could it be something with their diet? I feed them Nutrafin trop. flake food once a day, and sometimes I'll give them an algae disc or a few shrimp pellets,(for the corys.) but normally only once every couple days. Do you think constipation is still a possibility?

I really want to get rid of this, so I can declare my fish "healthy" again, for like the first time in almost 6 months of suffering from this! (I can't seem to get rid of it!)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Cheers!

P.S. I used Jungle Labs Parasite clear to treat the ich, but it didn't help much, and it said to only treat twice. So I followed the instructions, and stopped treating, but kept my temp up and increased aeration. This ich is never-ending! :angry:

Edited by fry_forever!, 03 May 2009 - 11:11 PM.

#2 FishBeast

FishBeast

Fish Fanatic

• 114 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

[quote name='fry_forever!' date='May 4 2009, 08:59 AM' post='2370342']
Hi. My fish have been pooping out the white-clearish stringy stuff for a while, and I've heard that it's an internal parasite. My fish were done with their ich treatments half a week ago, and now almost all of their parasitical symptoms are gone..... except they're still pooping out that white stringy stuff. Is it just a parasite that could be causing this? Because I've had my temp up to 87F for this whole week to help get rid of the last of ich, and they are still pooping that gross stuff out like there's no tomorrow. Could it be something with their diet? I feed them Nutrafin trop. flake food once a day, and sometimes I'll give them an algae disc or a few shrimp pellets,(for the corys.) but normally only once every couple days. Do you think constipation is still a possibility?

Is there any other slight color to the poop? My fish used to do that if they had been eating vegitation. How long have they been pooping clear? was it a long time before you started medicating?

#3 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,863 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

Do the fish still have whitespot, if so you need to keep treating. or change meds. You would have to do a water change and run some black carbon before you switched meds.

Long stringy white poo can be constipation, bacterial infections, internal parasites.
Clear poo can be the fish hasn't been eating, internal parasites.
Do any fish look skinny or bloated.
Does the tummy look sunken in.
Any fish with bent spines,
Do any fish swim on there sides.
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.
Any worms prutruding from the anus.

#4 fry_forever!

fry_forever!

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

Do the fish still have whitespot, if so you need to keep treating. or change meds. You would have to do a water change and run some black carbon before you switched meds.
I have tried two meds: Jungle Parasite Clear and Life Bearer. Both of them have almost done more harm than good.

Long stringy white poo can be constipation, bacterial infections, internal parasites.
Clear poo can be the fish hasn't been eating, internal parasites.
The poo is mostly clear and stringy, but it has some pinkish-reddish poop attached to it. (regular poop.)
Do any fish look skinny or bloated.
My female molly is extremely skinny, with her fins clamped.
Does the tummy look sunken in.
Ummm, not really,...
Any fish with bent spines,
One of my female guppies is starting to get a bent spine.
Do any fish swim on there sides.
No.
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.
No.
Any worms prutruding from the anus.
Not that I can see. I thought I saw something in one of my guppies, but I'm pretty sure it's gone after I treated for whitespot the first time.

#5 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,863 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

I would treat your fish for internal parasites.
Being skinny with a bent spine can be old age, fish tb, internal parasites.
Do you feed any red or pink foods to the fish.

#6 fry_forever!

fry_forever!

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:26 PM

I would treat your fish for internal parasites.
They're starting to get better, but can I treat with heat and salt? It seems to be working at 87F.
Being skinny with a bent spine can be old age, fish tb, (What does tuberculosis do to fish?) internal parasites.
I actually don't think she has a bent spine, now that I look closer.
Do you feed any red or pink foods to the fish.
Sometimes shrimp pellets, but they're not THAT pink.... They're more brownish than anything.... Also tropical flakes...

Edited by fry_forever!, 06 May 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#7 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,863 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:48 PM

Its hard to say fish tb without loads of symtoms and test.
Its best to worm your fish instead as being skinny and bent can also by signs of internal parasites.

#8 fry_forever!

fry_forever!

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:20 AM

Its hard to say fish tb without loads of symtoms and test.
Its best to worm your fish instead as being skinny and bent can also by signs of internal parasites.

Ok, I'm not too worried anymore though. What do you mean "it's best to worm my fish"?

#9 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,863 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

Its best to worm new fish for internal parasites.

#10 john3344

john3344

• 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:41 AM

Can you please explain how to do that? Best meds to use??

#11 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,863 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:15 PM

What's your location.

#12 fry_forever!

fry_forever!

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

What's your location.
I live in Canada. Do you think they sell medicated food at Petland or Petcetera? (If you know what those stores are...) I was just at Petland, but I totally forgot to ask them about medicated food. My fish are sick all over again.... They are pooping out white and clear stringy stuff, and are very thin and some are lying at the bottom of the tank. I just tested for ammonia, nitrite, ph and nitrate. The results were: Ammonia: 0ppm. Nitrite: 0ppm. Nitrate: 20ppm. Ph: 7.5
I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Yesterday I medicated again with Jungle Labs Parasite Clear, so far, there are no good results. I really want to try that medicated food, but I know my parents won't take me back to the petstore 2 days in a row. :(
Please help!
P.S. I still don't know what "worming" a fish is.....?

#13 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,863 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

What fish have the internal parasites, as not all internal wormers treat camallanous worms.

For camallanous worms you need levaimsole.

#14 fry_forever!

fry_forever!

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:05 AM

What fish have the internal parasites, as not all internal wormers treat camallanous worms.

For camallanous worms you need levaimsole.

All of them... but maybe not the corys...

Can't I just treat it with a medicated food?

http://images.google...ttp...sa=N&um=1

#15 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,863 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

Yes you can use medicated food as long as the fish are still eating and all the fish eat it.

#16 fry_forever!

fry_forever!

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

Yes you can use medicated food as long as the fish are still eating and all the fish eat it.

Really!!!?? Will it actually WORK? My fish are still eating, they are just pooping out that white/clear stringy stuff.

Some of my fish are even clamping their fins and rubbing against objects. (External parasite, as you know.) I can't seem to get rid of these stupid parasites! I'm going to give up pretty soon, but I will try to hang in there for a bit longer..... :-(

And every time I have something good happen to my aquariums, I tell someone, and then the bad luck comes back again...

(I'm such a loser....)

Edited by fry_forever!, 11 May 2009 - 10:30 PM.

#17 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,863 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:00 PM

I would check the medicated food treats camallanous worms.
Has the whitespot gone as I don't think medicated food works on external parasites.

Gel-Tek Ultra Cure PX
Ultra Cure PX is a revolutionary way to treat internal parasites in both freshwater and saltwater fish. With metronidazole and praziquantel, Ultra Cure PX helps control a variety of parasites such as intestinal worms, nematodes, tapeworms, flagellates, fish heartworms, and hexamita. Innovative Gel-Teknology directly treats infected fish and helps prevent secondary infections, which can often occur during periods of infestations. Ultra Cure PX contains fish pheromones to entice and enhance feeding behavior without clouding the aquarium water. Ultra Cure PX is safe for all saltwater and freshwater fish and especially useful with catfish, cichlids, goldfish, and other bottom feeders.

Active Ingredients:
Praziquantel 0.0057%
Flubenol 0.03%
Metronidazole 0.30%

Directions for Use: Hold back all feeding for 1 day before using. Then use Ultra Cure PX as the only product offered to the fish when fed. Add to the aquarium with the dropper tip on the bottle. Hold bottle 2 inches above water surface and squeeze. Offer at least 5 drops per fish twice a day. Repeat every 24 hours for 3 days. For nocturnal fish, add drops when light is off at night.

#18 fry_forever!

fry_forever!

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

I would check the medicated food treats camallanous worms.
Has the whitespot gone as I don't think medicated food works on external parasites.

Gel-Tek Ultra Cure PX
Ultra Cure PX is a revolutionary way to treat internal parasites in both freshwater and saltwater fish. With metronidazole and praziquantel, Ultra Cure PX helps control a variety of parasites such as intestinal worms, nematodes, tapeworms, flagellates, fish heartworms, and hexamita. Innovative Gel-Teknology directly treats infected fish and helps prevent secondary infections, which can often occur during periods of infestations. Ultra Cure PX contains fish pheromones to entice and enhance feeding behavior without clouding the aquarium water. Ultra Cure PX is safe for all saltwater and freshwater fish and especially useful with catfish, cichlids, goldfish, and other bottom feeders.

Active Ingredients:
Praziquantel 0.0057%
Flubenol 0.03%
Metronidazole 0.30%

Directions for Use: Hold back all feeding for 1 day before using. Then use Ultra Cure PX as the only product offered to the fish when fed. Add to the aquarium with the dropper tip on the bottle. Hold bottle 2 inches above water surface and squeeze. Offer at least 5 drops per fish twice a day. Repeat every 24 hours for 3 days. For nocturnal fish, add drops when light is off at night.

Sounds good.... but can you get that in Canada? And do you have to use a bacterial one with it as well? I really don't have the time or money to be going out and getting all these things, considering I go to school and I can't drive. My parents don't understand the concept of this stuff, no matter how much I explain, so they don't think it's that important.

#19 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,863 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

Wait till you have finished the other med and if no improvement after the full course get back to the board.

Yes you can get that med in canada.

Edited by Wilder, 12 May 2009 - 09:31 PM.

#20 fry_forever!

fry_forever!

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:49 AM

Wait till you have finished the other med and if no improvement after the full course get back to the board.

Yes you can get that med in canada.

Um, ok.... I have called literally every petstore that I live close to, and they have no medicated food. My Mom is going to ask a girl she knows to pick some up in the States when she goes. Would I have to use this too?

http://www.petsmart....?...20&keepsr=0

It says it's only for the use of ornamental pond fish....?

Edited by fry_forever!, 13 May 2009 - 12:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users