Pregnant Silver Mollie

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 umlaut31

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

Hey, Ijust bought 3 mollies today (1 male dalmation, 2 female silvers) and Aphrodite, my Pregnant female is massive! The guy in the shop said she'd pregant for ages, and so on his advice and doing research I put her in a breding trap just now.

The thing is, I don't really know if she is square yet, and i can't see the white spot cos she is silver! Wha do you think i should do? Do you need pictures?

This is my first livebearer experience, so I'm trying to get it all perfect! haha :good:

Cheers!

#2 ccskitten

ccskitten

Fish Crazy

• 214 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

Hiya

Its probably best to try and post some pics from the side top and back of the fish so we can have a look at them. I know what you mean about not being able to tell as they are silver. I've missed the last 2 births of my silver mollies (balloon).

Cindy :)

#3 umlaut31

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

okay dokey - i know they're not very good, but here ya go..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sorry about the quality - Aphrodite is very hard to photgraph! haha :good:

#4 ccskitten

ccskitten

Fish Crazy

• 214 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:27 PM

She looks like a balloon molly. Is she? If not she is definately going to pop soon!! Hopefully somebody else will be along soon to help.

#5 umlaut31

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

erm i don't think she's a baloon molly - however I don't really know the difference, they were just labelled silver mollies in my LFS.. :S

#6 ccskitten

ccskitten

Fish Crazy

• 214 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

The reason I think she may be a balloon molly is her spine doesn't look straight in the pics. From what I can see it looks to hump up above her head just like my balloon molly. I'm sure Oldman or Laurafrog will be along in a mo to clarify.

#7 umlaut31

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

yeah thats point - on closer inspection it is slightly different to my other silver female who isn't pregnant - does this mean that she isn't pregnant then?

#8 ccskitten

ccskitten

Fish Crazy

• 214 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

No she still looks pretty big and quite square on the bottom. I'd have no clue how pregnant though I'm afraid. I can't quite tell from the 'top view' pic. Does she look like she has swallowed a marble?

My balloon looked fractionally bigger than this (below) when she popped (I missed the birth I might add!)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's a pic of my 'normal' molly for comparison. She was also a week away from labour at the time of pic. (missed that one too but 4 fry survived the greedy fish in my tank!!)

Posted Image

Hope this helps.

#9 umlaut31

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

Cheers for the help!

I don't think she is a balloon molly, just ridiculously pregnant! haha!

She's a lot bigger than that pic, I would say almost 2 or 3 times plumper than my normal silver molly - and yeah the marble thing is exactly right, although its almost like a stretched marble (lengthways). She really isn't moving much - darting into her plants sometimes, but just stays afloat slowly moving her fins. She also seems to swim at angles and sometimes vertical - is this normal?

#10 Duck and Dive

Duck and Dive

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

I am pretty sure she will drop soon as she is huge!

#11 umlaut31

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

Haha hope so!

I've got a camera set up, I'm on tender hooks - adn i'm even putting off revision cos I don't want to miss it! ^_^

#12 dnn3

dnn3

Fish Addict

• 769 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

when she does drop make sure you mark the date down because she will probably have babies about every 6 weeks after that.

#13 wackystarfish

wackystarfish

Fishaholic

• 550 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

Looks like she'l be dropping anytime soon! Goodluck with the Fry!

#14 umlaut31

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

She's now not moving that much, just really quickly moving her fins - is that good?

Sorry - it's like a whole pregnancy diary isn't it! :blush:

I'm just soo excited! :hyper: I only set the tank up 2 weeks ago, and now I'm going to have fry!!!

#15 umlaut31

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:46 PM

She still hasn't had her babies - is that a bad sign?

#16 OldMan47

OldMan47

Livebearer fanatic

• Retired Moderator
  • 16,822 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:19 AM

If you just set up the tank 2 weeks ago there is a much more likely reason that she is not moving much. Do a quick check of the ammonia and nitrite levels in your tank using a liquid type test kit. Chances are good that the ammonia or nitrite is well over 0.25 ppm. If so, start doing 50% water changes an hour apart until you get the water parameters back to safe levels. The fry will not survive high pollution levels and the adults should not be exposed to them either.

My female molly looked like this only a few hours after giving birth. She is not a balloon type because I don't care for balloon mollies. You might be able to compare shapes and draw some insight.
Posted Image

There is also a very informative post by 5teady that can be reached by a link in my signature area called ready to pop.

#17 umlaut31

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:13 AM

Okay thanks - i'll start doing water changes then! The nitrite is fine, but I suppose 25% ones wouldn't hurt...

also thanks for the picture, sh's not a balloon molly, she just is really pregnant! I think the curve on her back is only noticable because her stomach is so big, making it seem curved :good: Roll on the FRY!

#18 Victora1984

Victora1984

Fish Fanatic

• 92 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

i agree with cindy, your mollie does look like a pregnant balloon, and dont worry that you have had no fry she will drop when shes ready:)

Attached Files

#19 ccskitten

ccskitten

Fish Crazy

• 214 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

Any fry yet??

#20 umlaut31

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic

• 149 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

Any fry yet??

Nope not yet :S

Which is quite worrying! She's getting even bigger!!! :crazy:

#21 tammyroberts85

tammyroberts85

• 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:06 AM

i have a fish she is pregnant she looks like the white ne on top and shes acting weird going up and down the glass and back and fourth is she gonna give birth

#22 roughamwitch

roughamwitch

• 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:35 PM

Any fry yet??

Nope not yet :S

Which is quite worrying! She's getting even bigger!!! :crazy:

JUST READ THE WHOLE TOPIC..... WHAT HAPPENED WERE THERE ANY FRY ?

#23 TheSims3Dude

TheSims3Dude

Fish Addict

• 798 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

Any fry yet today? I hope so! *crosses fingers*
Good luck! :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users