Photo

*help* Do Angel Fish Eat Neon Tetras?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 kerenza

kerenza

• 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

:unsure: I'm a bit worried, today I purchased an Angel fish and also a Siamese Fighter.
I heard that Angel fish can eat Neon tetra's.
Is that true? :S
The angel fish was swimming around fine when i released it.

Edited by kerenza, 28 June 2008 - 02:24 PM.

#2 karneval

karneval

Fish Fanatic

• 87 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

Yes, neons are a natural food source for angels.

Are the angel and betta (Siamese Fighting Fish) in the same tank?

Edited by karneval, 28 June 2008 - 02:30 PM.

#3 minxfishy

minxfishy

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Yes Angel fish have been known to eat neon tetras, I imagine the one you have just bought is still quite small? So it may be a while before he decides to have a nibble :)

Also, is the SF male? If so (and Im just assuming you have put them in the same tank) they shouldnt be housed with other fish in general, unless you happen to have a peaceful male. They should be on their own really to be happiest.

#4 kerenza

kerenza

• 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

:unsure: I'm a bit worried, today I purchased an Angel fish and also a Siamese Fighter.

Yes, both are in the same tank. :S

Yes Angel fish have been known to eat neon tetras, I imagine the one you have just bought is still quite small? So it may be a while before he decides to have a nibble :)

Also, is the SF male? If so (and Im just assuming you have put them in the same tank) they shouldnt be housed with other fish in general, unless you happen to have a peaceful male. They should be on their own really to be happiest.

The fish man never told us if they were either Male or Female. Can you tell apart? I've put both the Angel fish and the SF together in the tank.

#5 karneval

karneval

Fish Fanatic

• 87 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:36 PM

Bettas aren't really community fish. In some situations they can be kept with tankmates, but only if the tank is pretty much 'built around the betta'. Bettas and Angels in particular shouldn't be kept together, and neither should neons and bettas, or neons and angels. Depending on the temperment of the betta, you could do one of the following:

1. Take the angel back to the LFS.
2. Move the betta to another tank (at least one gallon, head over to the betta section for some examples on small betta-only tanks)
3. Leave it alone and hope all your fish will just work it out amongst themselves without causing any serious problems.

Out of curiosity, how big is your tank?

Oh, and yes, you can tell if your betta is male or female. Could you post a picture?

Edited by karneval, 28 June 2008 - 02:37 PM.

#6 kerenza

kerenza

• 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

Yes, both are in the same tank. :S

The fish man never told us if they were either Male or Female. Can you tell apart? I've put both the Angel fish and the SF together in the tank.

Thanks for the advice :)
My tank is a 35L
I got the Siamese fish and the Angel fish on the same day at the same time, I told the man that I was going to put them in the same tank,
but he said it was O.K.
Im scared now that they might eat eachother or the other fish :S

#7 minxfishy

minxfishy

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:42 PM

Unless you are planning to upgrade your tank, then it will not be large enough for an Angel fish once fully grown.

I would take back the angel.

What other inhabitants are in the tank apart from the betta and neons?

How long has the tank been cycled?

A male betta (depending on the type) usually sold commonly in most LFS will be the ones with the long flowing fins. The females dont. Im just generalizing but I imagine what you have purchased is a male betta splenden.

#8 kerenza

kerenza

• 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:43 PM

Bettas aren't really community fish. In some situations they can be kept with tankmates, but only if the tank is pretty much 'built around the betta'. Bettas and Angels in particular shouldn't be kept together, and neither should neons and bettas, or neons and angels. Depending on the temperment of the betta, you could do one of the following:

1. Take the angel back to the LFS.
2. Move the betta to another tank (at least one gallon, head over to the betta section for some examples on small betta-only tanks)
3. Leave it alone and hope all your fish will just work it out amongst themselves without causing any serious problems.

Out of curiosity, how big is your tank?

Oh, and yes, you can tell if your betta is male or female. Could you post a picture?

Posted Image

:)

#9 karneval

karneval

Fish Fanatic

• 87 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:44 PM

A lot of the people in the fish store either don't really know what they're talking about, or are just trying to make a sale. It's best to research fish before you get them. Checking here is good, too, as people with experience with the fish you're thinking about can tell you everything you need to know.

35 Liters isn't anywhere big enough to house a full grown angel. It would probably be best to take the angel back, and then your tank will be fully stocked.

Assuming you have a 'common' type of betta (the Betta Splendends, which you have, come in many different tail types. Veiltail is the most commonly seen in fish stores), this would be how to tell the male from female:

Male:
Posted Image

Female:
Posted Image

(Oh, and I got those images off google. They're not mine or anything, so.)

#10 minxfishy

minxfishy

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:44 PM

OK pretty fish, I believe (and im no expert on bettas) that he is a Crowntail. Definately Male.

#11 karneval

karneval

Fish Fanatic

• 87 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

Yep, male crowntail, and a very pretty one at that.

#12 kerenza

kerenza

• 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

Unless you are planning to upgrade your tank, then it will not be large enough for an Angel fish once fully grown.

I would take back the angel.

What other inhabitants are in the tank apart from the betta and neons?

How long has the tank been cycled?

A male betta (depending on the type) usually sold commonly in most LFS will be the ones with the long flowing fins. The females dont. Im just generalizing but I imagine what you have purchased is a male betta splenden.

I've been having the tank for 5 weeks
Ive got:
6 platies
6 neons
1 betta
1 angel fish

#13 gaz gun man

gaz gun man

Fish Addict

• 943 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

you've got a male crowntail there, I think

My betta knowledge is not the best!

TBH The 35L tank you have would be perfect with just him in there.

#14 kerenza

kerenza

• 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

Thanks very much :)

What I don't understand is that The Betta's are in a seperate tank to all the other Betta's and they are in a tank with small fish.

#15 minxfishy

minxfishy

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

OK your platties will breed easily as you are discovering and are not best kept with a betta.

To be honest and Im not being mean, you should return the platties (dont worry about the fry the angel will make light work of those), the angel and the neons.

If you wish to keep the betta, then really the only other fish you could keep with him are corydoras (catfish) and some people (including me) keep them with harlequin rasboras successfullly.

Or return the betta and the angel.

#16 karneval

karneval

Fish Fanatic

• 87 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

That's how a lot of fish stores do it - put one betta in each tank, not even taking notice to what they're being thrown in with. A lot of the time you'll see bettas in these situations with ripped, torn, and bitten fins.

#17 minxfishy

minxfishy

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

Thanks very much :)

What I don't understand is that The Betta's are in a seperate tank to all the other Betta's and they are in a tank with small fish.

LFS always keep bettas in the wrong tanks, with the wrong tank mates. Hence many are in a terrible state when they are sold, missing tail fins, stressed etc.

Female bettas can be kept in groups and in community tanks. But males will fight with each other and should NEVER be kept together, nor should males be kept with females (unless you are planning to breed them and even then the female would only be placed in the males tank for a short period of time).

#18 kerenza

kerenza

• 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for all of the advice :)

I was just looking at my tank, and the angel fish and the betta are just sitting there.
Would this mean they will still eat the other fish?

#19 karneval

karneval

Fish Fanatic

• 87 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

A lot of people who end up with the wrong mix of fish thanks to the LFS end up thinking the same thing: "The fish seem fine right now, how could someone say they'll start fighting?" And most of those people have ended up with stable tanks for a few months, then one day they'll wake up and half their fish are either dead or missing.

It's always possible that something could happen with a mix like that.

#20 minxfishy

minxfishy

Fish Gatherer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

At the moment they are both getting used to their new surroundings, its stressful for a fish to be moved. From most peoples experience you cannot keep bettas/angels together. Nor angels/neons together. You may, if your lucky, get away with the neons and betta combination. The problem with other fish with bettas is, they tend to nip the bettas fins and bettas are solitary fish (males anyway) they neither want nor need company, although some keep them in community tanks, they are usually much larger tanks for the betta and other fish to establish their own territory, thus avoiding the nipping and deaths.

Angels will eat pretty much any small fish they can get in their mouths, whilst young obviously they cannot fit many fish in there, but once they grow, neons are the perfect size.

Just because at the moment they are not bothering each other, does not mean it will continue that way. You cannot watch the tank 24/7 and sooner rather than later you will have problems.

#21 tenohfive

tenohfive

Always room for one more tank...

• Pip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:08 PM

A lot of people who end up with the wrong mix of fish thanks to the LFS end up thinking the same thing: "The fish seem fine right now, how could someone say they'll start fighting?" And most of those people have ended up with stable tanks for a few months, then one day they'll wake up and half their fish are either dead or missing.

Seconded. I hope it doesn't seem like we're being harsh, but you're one of a long line of people who come on here having been given bad advice. Its not your fault, but you are looking at some real problems with your tank - either in the next day, week or month (unless you're very lucky) you'll come home and find half your tank dead.

The best thing you can do now is look to rehome some of the fish - the betta is beautiful, I'd recommend picking up a small tank (3G or more) which you can still get cheap, a heater and filter and rehome him there. And take the angel fish back to the shop.

Have you read up on cycling? If you do opt to buy a new tank you'll need to carry out a fish in cycle, which means 50% or so water changes everyday-and buy a test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as soon as you can afford one. Especially if you didn't cycle your 35 litre tank.

Like I say, I hope we don't seem like we're being aggressive towards you - most of us have made similar mistakes to you, and will do whatever we can to help you out and prevent any problems in your tank.

#22 kerenza

kerenza

• 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:44 PM

If i were to take back a fish,
which ones should i take back?

The angel
Or the Betta?

Seconded. I hope it doesn't seem like we're being harsh, but you're one of a long line of people who come on here having been given bad advice. Its not your fault, but you are looking at some real problems with your tank - either in the next day, week or month (unless you're very lucky) you'll come home and find half your tank dead.

The best thing you can do now is look to rehome some of the fish - the betta is beautiful, I'd recommend picking up a small tank (3G or more) which you can still get cheap, a heater and filter and rehome him there. And take the angel fish back to the shop.

Have you read up on cycling? If you do opt to buy a new tank you'll need to carry out a fish in cycle, which means 50% or so water changes everyday-and buy a test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as soon as you can afford one. Especially if you didn't cycle your 35 litre tank.

Like I say, I hope we don't seem like we're being aggressive towards you - most of us have made similar mistakes to you, and will do whatever we can to help you out and prevent any problems in your tank.

But im scared
:(

Edited by kerenza, 28 June 2008 - 09:56 PM.

#23 rabbut

rabbut

I don't bite, all that often...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:09 AM

The angel deffinately has to go. He/She is incompatible with most of your other tank mates, and the tank isn't big enough for it, sorry :sad:

The Betta can be made to work, but the tank is heavily stocked. This will irritate him and thus he will likely become agressive with time. I would either get him a new tank or take him back also :sad:

Otherwise, assuming your water stats are OK ATM, I.E. ammonia and nitrite zero and nitrate no higher than 40ppm above your tap water reading, the tank looks fine to me :good:

HTH
Rabbut

#24 vinylman

vinylman

Essentially Humanoid

• Pip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:04 PM

Please, please take the Angel back. What you have in there is like a timebomb waiting to go off. Something WILL happen if you don't act quickly, and it won't be pleasant when you see the aftermath. I'd also give that LFS employee a hefty kick up the ####. I know a lot of them don't get great wages, but in the age of the internet ANYONE can at least pick up a basic knowledge and not mislead customers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users