Angelfish Having Problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 -SPB-

-SPB-

Fish Addict

• 777 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:11 PM

I think one of my angelfish is having some problems, but not quite sure what is up with it. Normally it swims at the front of the tank, very active, especially when you walk up to the tank. Since yesterday it's been hiding at the back of the tank, behind the filter outlets and generally out of the other fishes way. I have noticed, on it's pectoral fin, a redness at the base of it, (pics enclosed). This is only like it on one side, and when it's not swimming about it only uses the one pectoral fin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks.

#2 bunty82

bunty82

• 51 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:12 AM

Its the sign of fin rot disease. Check your Ammonia level. And add Malachite green. My fishes were also showing the same problem. I raise the temperature, added common salt(1 teaspoon per 5 gallon and malachite green). It disappeared quickly.

#3 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,795 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

Can you post water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Red at the base of the fin is septicemia hard to cure once it advanced.
Anti internal bacteria med by interpet for septicemia.

Edited by Wilder, 04 February 2008 - 05:55 PM.

#4 -SPB-

-SPB-

Fish Addict

• 777 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:11 AM

I've definatley got something wrong in my tank. The angel is still the same, but literally just got in from work and i have a madagascan rainbow fish dead. I'm just going to do some water tests and give the dead fish the once over, see if there are any unusual marks. Will report back soon.

The only things i've added to the tank lately is some melafix yesterday and once a day i put in flora gro 24, 6 drops, whichs helps plants. I'm going away for a week tomorrow, so i really need to find out what it is so i can get some meds in the morning and get my sister to treat while i'm away.

#5 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,795 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

Already been said what wrong with the fish and what med.
Look under septicemia.
<a href="http://www.fish-disease.net/diseases.htm" target="_blank">http://www.fish-disease.net/diseases.htm</a>

Aquarium Treatment - No 9 Anti Internal Bacteria 100ml
Aquarium Treatment - No 9 Anti Internal Bacteria 100ml. Advanced formula aquarium treatment complete with handy measuring cap and pipette. Also comprehensive, easy to follow guide to fish health. Cures bacterial gillrot, dropsy and ulcers.
Evidence of internal bacterial infection is red streaks to the fins and red patches or blotches on the body of the fish. Can be very hard to treat and this is one of the few chemicals on the market which attempts a cure.

Worth a try to save your prize specimen or that family friend. 100ml treats 500 litres (110 gallons.)

Edited by Wilder, 05 February 2008 - 12:17 AM.

#6 -SPB-

-SPB-

Fish Addict

• 777 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:44 AM

Many thanks for your help wilder, i'm going to go straight down to the lfs in the morning and get the meds. I've just noticed this on the angel now. (Pic below) How far gone do you think it is. Will i be able to save it.

Posted Image

These are my water stats anyway, nothing unusual

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 40
ph 7.6

Edit: Would it be worth adding salt. It says in the link you sent it would help. And if so, how much should i put in???

Edited by sambangert, 05 February 2008 - 12:48 AM.

#7 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,795 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:51 AM

Septciemia hard to cure once its advanced, the anti internal bacteria will only work in a mild case of septicemia.
Can only add salt if you have no scaless fish.
The problem with septicemia is that the bacteria can enter the fish tank from the fish that is ill, thats why is best to issolate the sick fish and treat.
Its very hard to say if the fish will make it to be honest.
Good luck.

#8 -SPB-

-SPB-

Fish Addict

• 777 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:54 AM

I've a wide range of fish in the tank so i think salt would be a no no. Don't have another tank to put my prize angel in so i'll have to keep my fingers crossed. As i said before, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Edited by sambangert, 05 February 2008 - 12:55 AM.

#9 fry_lover

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes

• Pip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:09 AM

dont forget to follow the interpet guidelines, most of their meds need to be put in warm water then put into tank

good luck.

Wilder - do you think its possible it might just be a wound that got infected?

But other fish in tank dying creates suspicion of general problems i guess.

Am i right in thinking bacterial infections can generally kill fish quicker than most parasites and fungus?

Sam - if it were me, with those water stats, i would not do any water changes 24-48hrs before and after adding the meds doses in case your water conditioner interferes with the active ingredients of meds

Edited by fry_lover, 05 February 2008 - 01:11 AM.

#10 -SPB-

-SPB-

Fish Addict

• 777 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:16 AM

I've used them before a while back, so should be ok there. Not sure what was up with the rainbow. On closer inspection there were no signs of distress. No red marks around fins. The only thing i did notice was a green mark below the pectoral fin (see pic) Baffling one. I've checked all of the other fish and they all seem ok.

Will i need to raise the temperature in the tank while i am medicating.

I don't think my water quality is bad as i do my weekly water changes, usually change between 25-50% of the water. Also got a rena xp 2 and a tetratec ex 1200 so good filtration there.

Posted Image

Edit: Won't be doing any water changes. I'm of away, so i'm going to have to leave my sis with a strict regime of what to do. Also, i'll be phoning her every day to make sure.

Edited by sambangert, 05 February 2008 - 01:18 AM.

#11 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,795 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

No don't raise temp.
A bad strain of bacteria can kill fast just like parasites.
Signs of bacterial infections without any symtoms are being pale or darker in colour, being listless and lethagic, and not eating.
Seen green on fish before it not a desease it usually clear up on its own.

#12 -SPB-

-SPB-

Fish Addict

• 777 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

Just an update, not sure what to do now. After putting in interpet No 9 on Monday the Angel fish died yesterday. Looked as if the blood marks were clearing up, but it was unsuccesfull. Also another madagascan rainbowfish died. This had no signs of disease or anything, not sure whats going on in the tank. I'm going to carry on with the med anyway, just incase another fish has signs. I'm baffled on what caused the rainbowfishes deaths as they showed no signs of distress, were eating and swimming as normal. Water quality is good. Just have to hope the interpet med clears up anything that is wrong.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

#13 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,795 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

R.I.P.
If the septicemia was advanced hard to cure even with antibiotics as it's blood poisoning.
A fish with septicemia the bacteria from the fish can enter the tank.
I would preform some daily water changes and keep adding the correct of med back to water removed.

#14 -SPB-

-SPB-

Fish Addict

• 777 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

I've now lost another 2 angel fish. All in all i've lost 3 angels and 2 madagascan rainbow fish. I'm going to continue using the med for another week. I'm also going to do a 75% water change today. Only 1 angel showed signs of distress. Hopefully i'll get this sorted soon.

#15 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 20,795 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

That's why is best to issolate sick fish.
Bless them R.I.P.

Keep doing water changes on the tank and add the med back to the water removed.
Good luck.

Edited by Wilder, 11 February 2008 - 09:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users