Platy Pregnancy Advice - Gestation Period?
Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:42 PM
1). what colour will they come out as?
2) how many will there be?
3) how long are the female fish actually pregnant for
4) will the other female platys pose any threat to the new babies?
I've read the current threads about new fish babies and i'm preparing, i already have two tanks, my quarantine tank is about to double as a nursery, but please if you've got any answers, please let me know, cheers guys x x x
Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:23 PM
1) Not sure, since the parents are red and blue they babies could vary.
2) 30-40 I think. But If you leave them in your main tank some may get eaten. (Don't worry, this is normal)
3) about 28-32 days
4) Your females may, but its more likely that the males will. (Its a 'They're not my kids so I'll eat them' kind of attitude)
If you're not bothering with a separate tank, if you have plenty of plant cover, the majority of the babies should survive.
I hope this helps!
Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:10 AM
'30-40 fry are normal. Up to 4 days before she drops fry, you will see her hiding in the plants. She may become aggressive and try to keep other fish away. The males will harass her when she is giving birth because they want to eat the fry which may not be hers to eliminate the competitor's offspring. The females will be grateful of the free meal. If you want fry to live, plant the tank heavily or better still remove them to a separate tank.
The fry will eat whatever the adults eat provided the particles are small enough to fit in their mouths, they aren't big at birth. Also, they may be pastels of whatever colour they will grow up to be. I have had tuxedo fry born white, red fry born pink, wagtail fry born solid colours, and dalmatian fry born spotless. Then again other strains are born fully coloured.
The final colour is difficult to judge. As far as I know, blue and red wag are fairly common and dominant strains, so you'll probably get a mix.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users