• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1entra

1entra

Fish Addict

• 937 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:38 AM

Hi there,

Does anybody here have experience with growing/keeping mangroves in a refugium/slump? They are supposed to be recommended as an addition to macroalgae to help keep phosphates and nitrates low. I am thinking about getting some for my refugium to grow alside cheato.

Was just wondering if anybody else is using them and if they are a good idea or not as I do not know much about them? How big do they grow? What are their light/nutrient requirements? Anything else I should know about them? They would be grown under a 11w 6700k full spectrum tube, would this be adequate ????

Cheerz :good:

#2 1entra

1entra

Fish Addict

• 937 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:08 PM

So does nobody on this website use mangroves to aid the filteration of their (reef) tanks??? -_-

#3 SkiFletch

SkiFletch

Professor Beaker

• Retired Moderator
  • 14,074 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

Few people do because mangroves require some really hefty light and are difficult to grow in true marine/reef specific gravities of 1.026. They prefer a little less than that, and most reefers keep their sg high. They look great when you do grow them though...

#4 1entra

1entra

Fish Addict

• 937 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:44 AM

Thanks for the reply SkiFletch. :good: I will try growing 1 in my refugium and see how I get on. They do not cost much to buy anyway!

#5 _daniel

_daniel

Fish Fanatic

• 65 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

On the other hand, an employee at my LFS grows mangroves in his budget fuge with no lights, only incidental day light. They thrive and apparently remove a ton of nutrient. Trim them like a bonsai tree. When I set up my fuge I'll definately be trying them. Luckily for me, mangroves grow naturally like weeds in many areas close to my house.

#6 amstar15

amstar15

Fish Crazy

• 386 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:27 AM

i have three mangroves in my refugium. I have them under 2 40 watt vho aqua sun lamps for 14 hours a day opposit of the main tank lighting. i have them come on 1 hour before the main tank lights go off, and they stay on 1 hour after the main tank lights turn on). They all three have a good root system. at first i floated them at the top of the sump with styrofoam so the roots would grow and expand. I have 3 different types of macro algaes as well and I add madnesium (spelling) for the mangroves. very very slow growers. I have them in a refugium that is 37 inches long and 18 inches wide.. the actual sand bed is approximately 23 inches long by 18" wide.

#7 1entra

1entra

Fish Addict

• 937 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for the reply amstar15. So have you noticed the mangroves have any positive/negative effects on your system ie. on the water chemistry? Also do you use anything to dose/feed them?

Cheerz :)

#8 amstar15

amstar15

Fish Crazy

• 386 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:29 PM

I add madnesium (spelling) for the mangroves.. they just remove a ton of nutrients, hardly any amonia or nitrates.

#9 1entra

1entra

Fish Addict

• 937 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:34 AM

Thanks amstar15 :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users