Gestation Period Of A Swordtail

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lorna

Lorna

Fish Fanatic

• 119 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

I've got 2 swordtails (not sure what breed) they are orange with 2 back stripes at the either top and the bottom of the caudal fin running from body to tip. I have had these 2 swordtails for over 2 months now and 2 weeks ago one of them gave birth. I have always thought that they are 2 females as neither of them have a sword and I can't find the gonodopium on them either. I have read that the gestation period of these fish is between 24 to 30 days so they couldn't of already been fertilised at the shop when purchased as I have had them longer then this period of time.

Any ideas? Also do you know what type of breed they are?

Thanx

#2 theotheragentm

theotheragentm

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

Gestation period is normally one month for the common livebearers. Most are pregnant already when you pick them up in a shop unless they've been separated since birth with only the same sex. Do you have a picture so we can see what type of Swords these are that you have?

#3 Jimb0b

Jimb0b

• 37 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

Live bearers can have multiple births from one mating i believe.So they were probably mated with before you got them.

#4 modaz

modaz

Getting old, but nowhere near knackered, i just look it.

• Pip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:39 PM

Live bearers can have multiple births from one mating i believe.So they were probably mated with before you got them.

swords have also been reported to have a gestation of up to 8weeks but it depends on the type of sword ofcourse

#5 Lorna

Lorna

Fish Fanatic

• 119 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:18 PM

Here are the pictures of my swordtail

Attached Files

#6 toppman

toppman

Fish Crazy

• 271 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

the normal time is about 28 days and i also read they can store sperm for around a year.
correct me if im wrong

#7 chucksmo

chucksmo

Fish Fanatic

• 63 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:49 AM

I thought they could only store sperm for 6 months. but anyways cool fish good luck with the fry.

#8 toppman

toppman

Fish Crazy

• 271 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:56 AM

i may be wrong then, just say 6 months its a safer guess :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users