• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mystix212

Mystix212

Fishaholic

• 428 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:08 AM

Now that I have your attention.
What fish could breed with convicts? Or what small South American cichlids can cross breed? I want to make mutant fish!

#2 GuppyDude

GuppyDude

Stephen

• Pip
  • 3,675 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

Heh, perhaps you are not the sort who should be cross breeding fish. :good:

#3 xingumike

xingumike

Got beer?

• Pip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:15 PM

or perhaps he should be encouraged to go forth and mulitiply..... lol

#4 GuppyDude

GuppyDude

Stephen

• Pip
  • 3,675 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hah, lets hope not. :rolleyes:

#5 pica_nuttalli

pica_nuttalli

don't be a twit

• Pip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:07 AM

i know they aren't cichlids or hybrids, but if you just want to try your hand at breeding "mutant fish" check out the Desert Goby (an Australian native fish). they're little yellow beasties with big rubbery lips; they need brackish water but are otherwise quite hardy!

http://www.amonline....sh/ceremius.htm

--EDIT--
here's a sexy picture of them: http://www.metop-aqu...erie/91,020.htm

Edited by pica_nuttalli, 26 April 2007 - 12:11 AM.

#6 Mystix212

Mystix212

Fishaholic

• 428 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:19 AM

L:et me rephrase my topic. What small south american cichlids can breed with a convict?

#7 GuppyDude

GuppyDude

Stephen

• Pip
  • 3,675 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

Convicts will x with...

Texas
Fire mouth
Sajica
Jade Eye
Jack Dempsey

Please breed responsibly (the fish i mean), and if you do end up with adult spawn eventually, make sure those whom you sell them to know exactly what they are getting. Handing hybrid fish over to your LFS is irresponsible and a danger to the hobby of fish keeping. Have fun. :good:

#8 idlefingers

idlefingers

Fish Addict

• 919 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

L:et me rephrase my topic. What small south american cichlids can breed with a convict?

Convicts aren't even south american. They're central american. So trying to get a convict to breed with a south american fish is even more unnatural than trying to cross breed two central american fish.

Couldn't agree more.

Edited by idlefingers, 26 April 2007 - 11:23 AM.

#9 Mystix212

Mystix212

Fishaholic

• 428 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:06 AM

I know about the hybrids and the do's and donts, I just wanted to know what AMERICAN cichlids or anything else can breed with a convict. The possible offspring would be raised in a 40 G tank with pleco's. I would only do 2 or 3 spawns and feed the low quality fish to my other fish. Then keep the best 4 or so from the spawns and keep them in a much larger tank.

#10 kubora666

kubora666

Fish Addict

• 998 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:51 PM

mutants are easy to make :) ul find convicts will readily breed with just about anything
ive perfected my mutant.
so far ive had about 700 Convict+sajica+jade eye hybrid spawn
really really agrressiv:P but really brightly coloured.
good luck with your hybriding

#11 Mystix212

Mystix212

Fishaholic

• 428 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:36 AM

Thanks, I could probably do Firemouth and con. I dont get many american cichlids near me, just lots and lots of african.

#12 preDATor

preDATor

• 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:04 AM

Convicts aren't even south american. They're central american. So trying to get a convict to breed with a south american fish is even more unnatural than trying to cross breed two central american fish.

Couldn't agree more.

South american to central.....hello texas are from america and convicts are from central america but you can still get a texas Convict...so the chances of central to southern are just as good.

#13 bolty

bolty

Fish Crazy

• 245 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

Convicts will x with...

Texas
Fire mouth
Sajica
Jade Eye
Jack Dempsey

salvini
red devil
flower horn

but sajica and jade eye are the same thing no?

#14 ~T~

~T~

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

Convicts will x with...

Texas
Fire mouth
Sajica
Jade Eye
Jack Dempsey

salvini
red devil
flower horn

No sajica = t bar cichlid.

Have you any pics of con x FH, I have never seen any.

#15 bolty

bolty

Fish Crazy

• 245 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:32 PM

Convicts will x with...

Texas
Fire mouth
Sajica
Jade Eye
Jack Dempsey

salvini
red devil
flower horn

No sajica = t bar cichlid.

Have you any pics of con x FH, I have never seen any.

Archocentrus spilurus = jade Eyed Cichlid

Archocentrus sajica = T-Bar Cichlid

no no pics i seen a con/FH on MFK a while back
also seen (and did see the pics of the eggs with thge mum&dad) a red devil x dovii, that there over on MFK in the Hybrid page

#16 norite

norite

Fish Fanatic

• 169 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

I once had a Convict and a Texas cross breed; unfortunately none of the fry survived - I think they got eaten by all the other tank mates - this was in a community tank with loads of other fish...I wasn't even trying to breed them, it just happened!

So is this cross breeding thing quite common then? I actually had a convict pair, but one of the convicts paired off with the Texas and they had fry.... :blink:

Edited by norite, 03 June 2007 - 09:36 PM.

#17 jourdy288

jourdy288

Sorry, can't help spammin, it's the OCD! Hey there;)

• Pip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:33 AM

Just saying, an albino is a mutant, a random variation within genes :drool: , but what you are doing is crossing fish, so instead of saying mutant, say crosses, or just use an X. :rolleyes: :good:

#18 the biffster

the biffster

Fish Herder

• Moved On
  • Pip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:20 PM

once had a pairing between convict and jade eye the offspring were great the males grew to about to about 6 to 7 inches
and females about 5 inches male develops a large lump on his head i used to feed them by hand .they used to brush around my arm like a cat

good luck biff :thumbs:

#19 Sam3546

Sam3546

• 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Now that I have your attention.
What fish could breed with convicts? Or what small South American cichlids can cross breed? I want to make mutant fish!

I have a blue eye cichlid which bred with convict cichlid. I didn't mean for it to happen and have gotten rid of the convicts since however there are about 25/30 fry in my tank along with the blue eye and I'm eager to see how they turn out. Blue eyes are cousins to convict but they are different. Convicts are pretty easy to breed so you may have some luck. I'm hoping to have some fish with some color mutation. Good luck and don't listen to these haters.

#20 Paradise3

Paradise3

Aquascaping is hard....

• Pip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Shouldn't be done at all in my opinion. Flowerhorns are hybrids as it is and they can't work out what they are a hybrid of! I don't think there should be any more crossing of cichlids that could end up with "fish" like flowerhorns. But this is just my opinion and given the amount of fish people are giving you that will cross with a Convict I'd say it is just me that thinks this. Just keep things natural, please! Why mess with nature? I say just leave it. Convicts may not be the most exciting fish ever but they are nice in their own right. They are also highly aggressive so please do not cross them with other fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users