Angelfish Looks Dead But Still Alive

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 stegoodall

stegoodall

Fish Fanatic

• 137 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:03 AM

my angelfish looked dead yesterday so i went to net it and it moved a bit. it is still alive but the heater had broken and the temp dropped to 60F, i put some other heaters in and now it is 72F. the angel is still on the floor breathing slow and flapping its fins on its side. what should i do?

Attached Files

#2 SamUK

SamUK

Fish Herder

• Pip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:47 AM

im not a fishy expert like some people here but personally i think id put it out of its misery cos it cant be happy!

but wait till sum1 else responds cos there mite be a cure!

#3 sleepy smurf

sleepy smurf

• 20 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

Sorry I can't help, but it really is awful to see angel fish like that! I saw one like that in a shop a while back - with a sign on the tank saying a customer had bought it from another shop and brought it in.

Hope he gets better.

Edited by sleepy smurf, 19 December 2005 - 11:53 AM.

#4 stegoodall

stegoodall

Fish Fanatic

• 137 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:58 AM

thanks. its a she though lol. I'll keep an eye on it. Hope she improves.

#5 sleepy smurf

sleepy smurf

• 20 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:18 PM

thanks. its a she though lol. I'll keep an eye on it. Hope she improves.

oops :D

#6 Tokis-Phoenix

Tokis-Phoenix

^_^

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:22 PM

Just make sure the water quality is good and make sure the temp doesn't rise too fast as anymore temperature fluctions at this stage could be lethal, you may want to add some melafix in there to aid recovery and to increase the flow of the filter if you can to make sure the bottom of the tank is well oxygenated- is the angel taking food at all? You want to make sure any other fish in there don't finish the angel off as many fish will bully sick fish when they know they are about to die..

#7 stegoodall

stegoodall

Fish Fanatic

• 137 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:24 PM

my krib was pecking it so its in a floating trap. shall i put a power head in to move the water around near the bottom? I am going to feed the rest of the fish now. I will try to get some melafix a bit later if i can.

#8 Tokis-Phoenix

Tokis-Phoenix

^_^

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:27 PM

Just make sure the floating trap has a steady filter current then, what do you feed your fish :) ? I wouldn't put a full dose of melafix in right now, just a 70% dose.

#9 stegoodall

stegoodall

Fish Fanatic

• 137 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:28 PM

its the krib in the trap, not the angel. I usually feed flake but have some frozen mysis and brine shrimp i think, for my dad's marine tank.

#10 KevinM

KevinM

Fish Fanatic

• 113 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:33 PM

OK, im currently having this problem with my betta, was very weak....what i would do i isolate it in the net on its own, and feed it a bit of bloodworms....my angel likes bloodworms....but give him like a pinch every day.....because your not meant to feed bloodwroms everyday....that should give him a good bit of energy to pull him up, Hope the little angel gets well again, how old is it?

#11 stegoodall

stegoodall

Fish Fanatic

• 137 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:36 PM

i dont have any bloodworms but i can feed it some frozen brine shimp or mysis. i'm not sure how old it is as i got it from someone else. I have 2 males aswell and they regularly spawn.

#12 KevinM

KevinM

Fish Fanatic

• 113 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:58 PM

Hmmm..im not sure about anything else...they cost 2.50 and you get 24 blocks....i jus break 1 block into peices and feed him 2 peices a day....if you ask someone in the shop about your angel fish they will give you the correct type of bloodworms to get, i asked and they told me the ones my betta would take to, but all my fish nibble some from the net.

#13 stegoodall

stegoodall

Fish Fanatic

• 137 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:00 PM

i just tried to feed it some shrimp with a syringe and it tried to eat them but i dont know if it got any in its mouth or not. if i can get to a shop i will try and get some melafix and bloodworm

Edited by stegoodall, 19 December 2005 - 01:00 PM.

#14 KevinM

KevinM

Fish Fanatic

• 113 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:18 PM

i just tried to feed it some shrimp with a syringe and it tried to eat them but i dont know if it got any in its mouth or not. if i can get to a shop i will try and get some melafix and bloodworm

if it tried to eat some keep trying every 1 hr or something, also when you are at your local shop get a breedig net to isolate it in, shouldnt have it laying at the bottom it might be trying to breath and the sand is blocking the gills!!!

#15 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 21,416 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:47 PM

Sounds like with the dramatic temp drop the angel went into shock, and now it not to good as laying on it's side and heavy breathing is not good news, good luck.

#16 stegoodall

stegoodall

Fish Fanatic

• 137 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

i have been trying to feed her but it seems that she is blowing the food away. I've put her in a large-ish breeding trap so she is off the floor. Every now and then she moves a bit but doesn't actually swim.

#17 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 21,416 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

Has the fish darkened in colour.

#18 stegoodall

stegoodall

Fish Fanatic

• 137 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:29 PM

I think wilder is right
http://www.centralpe...sh/fwf4476.html

Marble Angel Fish are not the strongest fish. They have a narrow temperature range, from 75 to 82 degrees fahrenheit. They need water with a neutral pH, from 6.8 to 7.2. Marble Angel fish, when in shock or scared, will lay flat on the floor of the tank. This does not mean the end however. Most Marble Angel Fish can recover from this and regain their normal health

I dont think its a marble but i hope this is true

It doesnt seem to be a different colour

#19 WILDER

WILDER

Fish Whisperer

• Retired Moderator
  • 21,416 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:31 PM

Just wondered if a bacteria infection had set in with the shock, as they lay on there side with that and heavy breath, just hope the fish pull through, but not looking good, good luck.

#20 KevinM

KevinM

Fish Fanatic

• 113 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:40 PM

Thats good to hear she is moving now and then....she is trying....but keep an eye on her for a day or two, by then she sould be moving a bit more, Hope all the best for her, :unsure: :thumbs:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users